Sunday, July 31, 2005

It's not for girls!



This is a Yorkie candy bar that was on sale at the Scottish Highland Games. I have no idea what their marketing strategy is.

Soapy, Otis and I went down to Enumclaw for the games today. (RwT wound up not being able to join us after all.) It was a great day: a bit on the hot side, but loads of fun, although sometimes a little weird. Viz:

Upon my approaching the ticket booth alone:

Me: Hi! How much is it?
Cranky lady: Well, how many do you want?
Me: Um, I guess there will be three...
Cranky lady: Well, that's what I needed to know. $36.

(Why she couldn't tell me it was $12, I don't know.)

Upon being handed an ear of corn wrapped in a soggy paper plate literally dripping melted butter onto the ground:

Girl: If you want more butter, there's some at the end of the counter.

Over the P.A. system as we watched dancers get ready:

Announcer: and if you go down to the Kilted... um... the Tilted Kil... um... eff... (silence)

Over the P.A. system as we watched athletes get ready:

Different announcer: And the hammer throw has likely been with us as long as there have been hammers. I am sure that shortly after the hammer was invented, someone threw one.

And like that. Weird, but fun. Here's a bit of a photoblog (click for biggie goodness):




Here's the best picture of Soapy and me.



Here's a picture of Otis choking Soapy, or as Soapy called it, "a picture of me holding Otis's arm in the right place to look like she's choking me."


So you know we weren't just mean all day, here's an angelic Soapy modeling a tartan kilt.


A number of dance contestants were doing a jig that I called "the fisty dance" since it involved punching movements. Here it is demonstrated by Otis.


Here are some games competitors warming up.
Shortly after I took this picture, the guy in the front threw a 42-pound weight over a 17-foot bar.


Another competitor.



We thought this guy was interesting because (a) he kinda looks like a priest and (b) he has what appears to be an entire fox skin as a sporran. Ew. BTW, this year a large percentage of men we saw wore Utilikits and Neo Kilts as well as traditional tartans.


Here's Otis sneaking into frame with a giant highlander and his piratey girlfriend.
There were a lot of SCA/Renn Faire types in attendance.



Here are some cross-dressed musicians from (I think) the Malcolm pipe and drum band.
I just liked the color scheme a lot.



After we left the Games, Otis wanted to stop by water and take a dip to get cool.
From this shot, you wouldn't know we were in a debris-ridden section of the Green River under a roadway overpass in Kent, would you?


Good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and commentary. When interviewing front counter staff it is important that they "love working with people" andf have "lots of patience"....NOT!

I was tempted to buy one of those non-tartaney kilts myself, yet I thought I'd better wait and see if I really wanted one or if it was the spirit of the games......Today I still want one.....I will see how I feel about this in a few weeks.

It is good you are eating vegetarian these days. On a whim I decided I had to have fish and chips (just the right meal for a hot day). Whatever it was I paid $7 that was advertised as such, was more like a thick wad of stale batter over smidgens of fish (resin o'fish?), with cold, hard fries. I should have gone for the dripping corn.

Hey, maybe next year we can all go, and be dressed in kilts with some archaic and/or abstract theme? That would be GREAT!