Friday, July 08, 2005

Rainy rants

So, I didn't ride yesterday because my hamstrings really hurt, and I planned on an extra-long ride today to keep my miles up, but it's really raining this morning, so I am hoping it will lighten up a little bit, but I guess if you're going 25-30 miles it doesn't really matter, a little rain is the same as a lot. Anyway, I'm going to go anyway; whether Otis comes along might be another story.

Let me know if you want to come over for DVD nite tonight! (See below.)

I was re-reading Wheylona's political post and recalling a conversation with Melvin about how she regularly and routinely corresponds with our elected officials. All it takes is some email: most officials have click-to-send contact info on their websites, or even a feedback form. Sometimes it's just a matter of how many tick marks a staffer makes on a for/against sheet, but we need to let these people know how we feel about stuff, from the Iraq War to the Monorail. So here are some links; just click these and bookmark them, and you'll be all set to fire off your opinion the next time something sticks in your craw:

Contact Ron Sims, King County Executive

Contact the King County Council

Contact Greg Nick
els, Seattle Mayor

Contact the Seattle City Council

To find out your representatives in Olympia (The state is divided into legislative districts; each district sends one Senator and two Representatives to the State Legislature. You can find them here and link to them. I am in the 36th LD: State Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles, State Representatives Helen Sommers and Mary Lou Dickerson.)

That page also lets you know your Congressional District and who your representative in the U.S. House is. (Most of Seattle is in the 7th CD, home of beloved Congressman "Baghdad Jim" McDermott.)

And, of course, our U.S. Senators are Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell.

Contact the White House

I've already sent off a few this morning. It feels good.


No comments: