Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Prose and cons

Yesterday was the first day in almost two months that I did not post. I did, however, update the template, for what that's worth.

Monday saw the shortest bike ride yet (I didn't even log it): 1.74 miles. That's what the odo was reading when I got the flat. And, of course, I hadn't yet replaced my patch kit / pump / etc. from when my saddle bag, which contained my old patch kit / pump / etc., got stolen along with my seat. I have since replaced everything (man, that barn door was heavy) and bought a new tube and will fix the bike back up today. Otis and I will take a long ride (to make up for my missed day), maybe heading south to the downtown waterfront and West Seattle for a change from the Burke-Gilman.

Past record does not predict future performance category: The has been NO activity on the comic book collections I have on offer on eBay. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Three days left.

I got offered a full-time job in Bellingham yesterday, as Director of the Learning Center at Whatcom Community College. I have to call them in an hour or so to give them my reply, which is likely to be a "no." I have tried to do an analysis and a pro/con list and all that, and it comes out so even that it's not terribly useful. The only thing left in the realm of non-rational consideration is the idea that to get where I want to be eventually, I just shouldn't take any non-faculty positions, even if they offer teaching as part of the job. But even writing that down makes it seem absolutist and unwise. Sigh. Anyway, I'll let y'all know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Walter,

Of course I support any decision you make....and I also encourage you NOT to take this job! As great as it is to be offered, and they are obviously intelligent people with the right priorities in hiring, you need to avoid administration work for a while.

John said...

And as for comic book sales on Ebay... the buyers there are getting pretty savvy. They don't usually bid early. They wait and see if they can snag your lot for cheap near the end. I would expect almost all of the bidding to happen in the last 15 minutes of your auction.

Walaka said...

Mel:

See subsequent post. Your reasoning.

John:

It is true that the bids commonly come in the last few minutes; however, there are usually "watcher" tags on "my eBay" that identify the items being lurked, as it were. None yet.

Jon Myers said...

Think I preferred the old layout of your header - on my screen the picture is now squashed up against your subtitle.