Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The quarter of comics begins

So, this morning, uh, a person who shall remain nameless (but whose initials are NatDog) picked me up in the early morning frost and fog to go into campus and put the final touches on our syllabi for Spring.

As a present to myself, the focus of both my 102 and 101 class involve comics: Research Writing has a pop culture theme and uses Comic Book Nation as a model text, and Composition will use four graphic novels (actually, a graphic memoir, a graphic biography, a graphic short-story-collection, and graphic reportage) as its texts. Woo-hoo!

Also appearing on campus was Stella, with whom I spent some quality tea-time and from whom I received this book as a gift. It was her not-so-subtle hint that I pursue some post-graduate study.

I stopped by home to heat up some pesto gnocchi for dinner with Otis, and then headed down to Antioch. Even though the actual comics class was canceled, I took on three students on Guided Independent Study contracts to cover the same material. They will do much of the same work, substituting a wiki for class discussion. We had a rousing discussion tonight of the history and defintion of comics, and set up some guidelines for the rest of the quarter. It should be fun!

When I came home, Otis's book group had just selected their next book: Alison Bechtel's Fun Home, a graphic novel! I let them look at my copy, and they all seemed eager to get to it.

Have you had your recommended daily allowance of comics today?

High culture's battlements had been breached. The New Yorker signaled this defeat by printing a cartoon of a man asking, “Now I have to pretend to like graphic novels, too?” - Peter Rowe



By the by, don't forget Otis's latest art show, coming up on Thursday, April 10. This time her special quest is a henna artist who will be offering henna body art! Check it out.

No comments: