Sunday, April 13, 2008

Hello, Dalai!

I never get tired of that line.

Yesterday was the best day of the entire year so far, weather-wise. It was clear and sunny from the start, and according to the weather service, the temperature at SeaTac was a record-breaking 79 degrees. Now that's what a spring oughta look like.

So, in the morning, we opened up all the doors and windows, and did stuff in and around the house, and watched the cats get into summer-mode, with a lot of stretching out on the sidewalk to catch the sun's rays.

There wasn't too much of an extended morning, because I had to drop Otis off at Eryk & Sylvio's by noon so the gang could head down to the football stadium to join 65,000 other people at an event featuring Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama. I'll let them tell you about the details of that, since I had other plans, but I can say that there was a festival mood in the air all over the city. It was great to see all this excitement for someone other than a rock star.

I stopped off for a quick take-out lunch with Johnbai, who had perfectly appropriate plans for the afternoon: softball! He wound up having some field scheduling issues, so am not sure how that worked out.

For me, I had the worst possible plans for a beautiful sunny day: after lunch, I was sitting inside a small room in the Richard Hugo House, watching a powerpoint presentation on comics scriptwriting. Timing, as they say, is everything, eh? You can read about the class here.

In the evening, I picked up Otis and spent a few minutes in the I-D with my newly-compassionated pals, and then everyone wandered home for quiet evenings.

Now, we just have to wait for the next nice day!

1 comment:

wheylona said...

Lucky for you and me and all the other poor souls who couldn't attend, the whole deal is to be found here:

http://seedsofcompassion.net/webcast/index.html

I watched the opening session and will watch some other ones as well. This is one of the times when technology works super spiffily and I love it.