Monday, April 28, 2008

Wheels in wheels

My mind has been spinning lately, with RPG scenarios and caveman trades on top of all the reg'lar stuff of life. It feels pretty good, actually...

Sunday rounded out what turned out to be The Big Weekend o' Fun. Otis and I took ourselves out to an early breakfast at Silence Heart Nest, beating the churchy crowd to the parking spots and the good tables. We were so early, in fact, that Otis took a long nap when we got back, leaving me to play at my stuff the rest of the morning.

Johnbai made it a weekend trifecta when he dropped by after lunch during O's house-rental-excursion down the block. It's beginning to look more like we are going to be neighbors with O - she was doing all that application stuff. After that adventure, I went to a coffeeshop with Johnbai to geek out for a while, and then Otis drove us all to Cap Hill - home for Johnbai and pizza and Trader Joe's for us.

Today, of course, I had to pay for all that frivolity - I went into work with NatDog at 8:00 am and graded and prepped until my 1:15 class (with timeout for lunch with Stella). Short week, though - I'm back to the Spoke for a conference soon.

One of the comics blogs I read linked to this, and I thought it was sweet enough to share here:

A wistful moment from March 1937. For the past four months Popeye and his gang (including the prehistoric giant Toar and Alice the Goon *ack!*) have been struggling with the Sea Hag. Sixty years ago, she was known as Rose o' the Sea and Popeye's father jilted her. Now she's a genuine old-school no-fooling witch with Black Magic and a huge vulture pet. She has come for her revenge but then (oddly enough) she tumbles for Wimpy (who only uses her to get hamburgers). Love is hard to figure. The fights and captures and escapes go on but then it all ends when Eugene the Jeep uses his own natural magic to turn the Sea Hag into a mummy.

Despite all the terror and threats of death they've gone through, Popeye's gang are surprisingly saddened at the Sea Hag's demise. "When ya gets older," Popeye tells his hard-hearted Pappy, "ya'll un'erstan' that's it's even possible to feel sorry for yer emenies." The Sea Hag had intended to keep Poopdeck Pappy alive for a million years and torture him every minute, but even so -- Popeye and his friends are human enough to not rejoice at her death.



Oh, and once in a, while, The Onion is really, funny.

2 comments:

"Yojimbo_5" said...

The Onion has been reading my writing. I find myself lopping comma's in old post's willy-nilly. I even have an old essay in "Unpublished" (that's unpublished) called "Going comma-tose."

Walaka said...

Yeah, and their article had a punchline that worked.