Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Taking a break from work

I am in the middle - almost literally - of a stack of assessments for Antioch that I have been working on most of the day at a fairly leisurely pace. I may zip along and finish them tonight, or I may do some tomorrow. I have about 48 hours to do about three hours work, so no worries.

I broke from assessing for lunch today and met up with a dear old pal that I haven't seen in some years - we realized that we met nineteen years ago and prolly hadn't seen each other for four! It was great to do some catching up, and to find that some folks with whom you resonated once haven't changed a whit, and that you still resonate with them. (It was also a weird coincidence that she suggested the Sunlight across the street before she knew where I was living these days.)

Otis spent her whole day up in LFP with Pater. That reminds me - if anyone else was interested in making a dish for the recuperee, send Otis a note and she'll give you the rundown. And thanks to all those you have donated soups, enchiladas, pot pies, ratatouille, &c. - y'all know how cool you are!

I should also remind you of Otis's Art Card Giveaway! Check out the Healing Nest post or the Quiet Girl link to the Healing Nest blog for details. Post a comment and enter to win, win, win!

Can Neds or Wendy tell me what's going on at this spooky blog, besides the obvious? (NSFW)

This article is mostly for O, but it does extol the Power of Pigs in Blankets, too.

Hey, check out this post I did on my comix blog. Does anyone else think that the commenter might have been the author to whom I was responding?

5 comments:

Ned said...

It appears to me no more than the obvious: someone who likes naked peeps and trolling for stuff on the Internets. And a lot of time on their hands.

The top post reads:
Series of Kahlo on 26 March 2008 which includes a portrait drawn by my friend Sandra Uve, a very strange Bambi and an Uglydoll.

I love the idea of the mp3 soundtrack to the day.

Walaka said...

Yeah, but what's the sense of it? Playful? Tawdry? Bizarre? Contrived?

It was linked from another blog that called it "a pop-culture blog run by a freespirited cheesecake model who cultivates links to a whimsical and eclectic array of videos, photo galleries and MP3s." Does that sound accurate?

Ned said...

I don't get any sense at all, other than the obvious eclectic taste. Just someone linking to stuff. The message, if there is anything more to it than personal taste, would be in the selections. Her captions use a bit of English and some cutesy words, but I think that's more a reflection of the personality of the poster than any program.

Scotty Walsh said...

It would appear to be the author, which is nice that he is taking the time to keep up what people are saying.

I agree with his points, too. Not that I disagree with you. But ultimately, isn't part of the fun of language creating original metaphors?

I spend tons of time thinking about how to describe what I do to lay people. The most accurate word is probably clown, but since that conjures images of floppy shoed, fright wigged, red nosed, too much grease paint, talentless hacks; it is also very inaccurate. So, instead I say something like comedy acrobat. Now, without lying, I've completely changed their expectations and they're now much closer to the truth. Because technical jargon and the public jargon are two different things and in marketing, technical terms become much less relevant.

In the same way, to call his work poetry seems inaccurate. It's not impossible to have a graphic novel without pictures. It just isn't a graphic novel. That's why you specify the not having pictures part.

How else could you describe it? "A tersely written story which would largely benefit from having pictures"?

Better, I think, to market it as a graphic novel without pictures.

Scotty Walsh said...

And incidentally, I'm considering transforming my blog to a sort of essays and videos of clowning, circus, variety, theory, etc. Like your comix blog, I guess. It's so much easier to write about stuff, than about my own life. And my dad told me not to post pics of the baby or she'll get kidnapped. He's crazy I think, but I don't want to worry the grandparents. Thoughts?

Also speaking of tersely written books with pictures. Did you read my book? If you liked it, I'd be much obliged if you'd do a little response on it for me. (Since you're clearly not doing enough responding, lately). If it is a glowing response, feel free to post it publicly and vice versa.

TTFN