Saturday, March 08, 2008

Ote and abote

Otis is working, so I am hanging out, up on Cap Hill, at the big T, after a walk to the U-D, an unsatisfactory veggie dog, and a stop at Zanadu.

Last night, Otis and I wended our way all the way out to West Seattle, not to see Ned, but to have dinner with b & c, who recently traded (up? out? over?) from their rehab condo in Fremont to a charming 1920s craftsman just across the Duwamish and up the hill from Georgetown (which c aptly described as "Belltown twenty years ago"). The house is cool, is on a large lot, and has a super view of the sunrise over the Cascades (and a peekaboo view of the Space Needle from the front yard that Johnbai could prolly see better than I could). There's a great converted garage in the back, and c is going to connect it to the main house (he's a professional carpenter/contractor, so that'll be easy enough).

After the house tour, we headed down to the Georgetown Liquor Company for dinner. The place has the absolute best vegetarian menu of any place I have ever been in Seattle - we each had something different, and it was all great. The ambiance is more loud bar than comfortable restaurant, but we found a relatively quiet corner and had a great time.

Unfortunately, the great dinner had us missing the Soiree for Sachet up at Johnbai's. We had even hoped to make a late appearance, but after dinner Otis was crashing from a long day and I was starting to get a cold, so we had to bail out. Maybe I will be lucky enough to see our favorite fleur-de-lis sometime today or tomorrow; I hope so.

Otis has sent out a mass email with the latest hospital news, so I am going to suspend updates, hoping it will be soon enough that they are obviated. Keep all positive superstitions active, please.


Here is A Video in which Amy Walker does a Little Tour of 21 Accents of English Speakers in 2 1/2 minutes, for a Dear Friend who has requested that Links all be Spelled Out.

I challenge Soapy to make and wear one of these.

This is a great example of sustained analysis: part one, part two.

3 comments:

Ned said...

I do thank you, kind sir. Furthermore, I shall therefore take your comments to mean that from this moment forward I may safely disregard any links addressed to other members of our little blogosphere as irrelevant to my existence and thus cheerfully refrain from exercising my clickage upon the same. I do, however, reserve the right to give full reign to my curiosity should it get the best of me (which it did).

It is of course this cracking verbiage which served me in such good stead with our Atlantic cousins in my pursuit of two fine pieces of paper (without a jot of impressive looking Latin on them I reckon) issued by an excellent British institution of higher learning.

Yours in friendship and nonsense, DF

John said...

That chainmail was pretty sweet. But the writer errored in suggesting it wasn't useful since it couldn't stop arrows. The better test of chainmail is against slashing weapons. Even the real stuff can be weak against piercing and bludgeoning weapons.

Ned said...

A friend of mine in Spain was making a coat out of these gray plastic rings he got from I don't know where. I cannot speak to its resistance against weapons of whatever ilk. It certainly did not protect him from his wife, however.