Friday, March 14, 2008

Oh, my aching head

So, maybe the reason I hadn't mentioned my cold before was that I was trying to minimize it. That strategy seems to have broken down today; I couldn't breathe all night and came down to try to sleep sitting up on the couch. I finally got up about eight and still feel all woolly-headed. I have generally felt the worst overnight and better during the day; maybe I'll bounce back from this in a few hours as well.

Yesterday, Otis and I went up to the Putnam compound in LFP to help prep for Pater's return. I installed a wireless router and moved some furniture around (at Otis's direction) while she did some feng shui and cleaning. Thnaks for all the support of stuff and offers of food and time; we'll let you know.

I had to spend some time on campus and Otis and had some appointments, but we cleared all the decks for the evening, when Dingo and Neds came over for the evening, ostensibly to watch Call Northside 777, a cool 1948 Jimmy Stewart movie that is part film noir, part documentary, and still interesting, despite being a bit dated in its story of a reporter working to free an innocent man from prison. The Chicago locations and the excellent black-and-white photography make it a beautiful ( and beautifully ugly) movie to watch.*

The evening was rounded out by some general conversation, some pre-geek conversation about alignments and attributes that made Dingo's eyes glaze over, and some technical assistance that may herald of the Return of Myrna! Cool beans, indeed.

*The movie is noted for the appearance of Leonarde Keeler, one of the original developers of the polygraph,
(along with John Larson, the first Ph.D. cop in America, and William Marston, who also created Wonder Woman) as, of course, a polygraph examiner named Leonarde Keeler.
A brief intarweb search reveals that there may actually be an interesting movie in that story.

No comments: