Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sunday in the cafe with Walaka

So, Stella's move was stellar! We had plenty of bodies and, even though I seemed to have screwed up the U-Haul deal, plenty of vehicles. We descended on the old place like locusts, cleaned it out, caravaned to the new place, unloaded it all and installed some of it, and had a delicious cookie reward, all within the space of two hours or so. Yay, us! To wit:

Della
Miss T.
Otis
Soapy
FarmerScott
Yito
Dandy
Dingo
Johnbai
CC Rider

The rest of yesterday was spent hanging out with Soapy, napping, goofing off, working, cleaning, writing, and listening to The Swing Years. Man, I love that show. We were so time-disoriented in the afternoon that Otis and I took a walk to clear our heads and had another look at the live/work space that we can't afford.

Otis left Renty Red unlocked last night. Someone rifled the glove box and took some Canadian money that I had stashed there in case we took an impromptu trip. I have alerted the Border Patrol; I'm sure the culprits will be caught soon.

In other Ford Contour news, Red goes into car hospital tomorrow to get the damage from our fender-bender smasher repaired. I should also hear tomorrow from the bike hospital about the diagnosis of the damage to my bike, too.

Here's a video from Ira Glass to inspire all my creative-type pals out there; I think it is pretty awesome. Watch it until the 2:00 mark for the general discussion; after that, it's pretty broadcast-specific.




And here's a little musical clip that caught my eye, especially since many of us have been reveling in a bit of geekosity lately:




Oh - and Otis' s brother Robb is about to complete his MFA and has a new website to display his work as he establishes his new identity as a working artist. Check it out.

5 comments:

Juliet said...

Ira has inspired me. Let's work together to design your dream live/work space. Will you be my pretend clients? Send me an email with a description.

wheylona said...

Bummer, the videos are no longer available. :(

Walaka said...

???

I just checked and they're both running just fine, both through the link and on YouTube's own site.

ReadyToShelve said...

That's some pretty good advice from Ira Glass. I did just that - stopped because I was making crap - with Garage Band. Maybe I should start it up again.

Those videos were "no longer available" because YouTube was doing scheduled maintenance. It happens at random, all videos go offline and then they're back. It used to annoy me, but then I met the Three Witches and soaked up some of their fiery saliva and now I embrace the chaos. I wanted a whole kiss but they totally blew me off.

"Yojimbo_5" said...

When I started work at The Studio, I knew I was good, but I just assumed that everybody was better than me--especially the producers. I had what I thought was "Good Taste" (it's subjective), but I didn't have "What If...?"

I didn't get "What if...?" until 1) I found, to my surprise...and horror...that the producers didn't know any more than I did, no matter how old they were--we were all basically in the same boat, trying to save it, and 2) I had been doing it so long, that I got bored and had the temerity to ask if it was possible to try something different. Cautious agreement eventually became trust, and after awhile, I didn't see a lot of my favorite producers for loooooong stretches of the session. They knew I could do it without them being there, and that's basically the business model I havefor everything i do at home.

I just do it.

The deadline thing is an important point. Without a deadline, everything gets pushed off to the last minute and God forbid, that something else should happen and a train-wreck occurs. Fortunately, I love what I do, so once something comes in, I tear into it like a Jenny-Craig'er does a hamburger.

As for writing, I've long since given up on inspiration. I like Roger Ebert's line--"It wasn't that I was the best writer, or even the quickest, I just spent the least amount of time NOT writing."