Monday, June 02, 2008

El tren subterraneo

I packed myself a nice lunch for today, and then left it in the fridge, so I am coming to you from the campus Subway. Mmm-mmm, Veggie Delite!

So, I was posting yesterday morning from World Cup while Otis had a long appointment. Johnbai didn't get his sorry butt out of bed in time to join me there for some laptopping, but made it over to hang out at our place later, while O showed her place to a potential roommate.

Otis had an afternoon appointment as well, and then we went for our traditional earlybird dinner, this time at Julia's, the new Indonesian restaurant on 65th. They have a mini-rijsttafel, which I just love despite its colonialist underpinnings. This bitty version included white curry tofu, peanut-soy tofu and tempeh, and corn fritter. It was great!

Last night, we watched C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America, a contemporary mock documentary from an alternate history in which the South not only won the Civil War, but turned all of the former U.S.A. into a slaveholding state. It was well-done, with realistic fake commercials and news and archival footage providing jarring juxtapositions that were sometimes all too real. It's well worth a look if you come across it.

This morning, Otis and I took Renty Red into car hospital, and Otis is now driving a black Pontiac G5 with tinted windows. I think she's out looking for Soapy right now to challenge him to a drag race.


A last thought: people often ask me if I miss New York, and whether I wish I had stayed or ever will go back. I have very little sentimental attachment to The City, probably because during my formative years, it was likely in the worst shape it was in during the twentieth century. This photoset illustrates the tone and mood that comes to my mind when I think of New York.

2 comments:

ReadyToShelve said...

At first glance, a 250HP high-output 3.5-liter 24-valve 6-cylinder engine versus a 171HP 2.4-liter 16-valve 4-cylinder engine doesn't seem like a fair fight.

But when you factor in vehicle curb weight - 3800 lbs versus 3000 lbs - it's no contest. Otis would destroy me.

Even if we raced until we were out of gas, she'd still end up 23 miles ahead of me. AND she can take four times as much damage as Nyro!

Anonymous said...

In 1990 a friend moved to Seattle from NYC. He was constantly amazed that abandoned cars on the side of freeways were still intact. He said in New York the same cars would have been stripped minutes after the owners left them.