Monday, May 05, 2008

Ready, steady, go

Wow - what a weekend, just jam-packed with goodness. Yesterday, Otis and I took a nice long walk in the sunshine, through the neighborhood and the park, with a nice hill thrown in for good measure. I did some grading, and then we spent the afternoon wandering around as well - and I can tell you, Golden Gardens was as full as the Fourth of July. Give 'em a nice sunny day and Seattlites come a-runnin' outside, shucking off clothes and pretending it's California. (It was especially fun to watch the kids romping in the water, which must have been, what, all of fifty degrees?) We stopped for dinner and some laptopping in Fremont, and then joined the gang downtown for a thoroughly enjoyable screening of Iron Man at Cinerama.

This will be a fairly full week: in addition to my regular classes and a session with my independent study students, I have some meetings on campus as well as a meeting for some moonlight work. A former student recommended me for some grant writing work, so I'll be talking with those folks tomorrow.

Oh, and in the by-the-way department: You will recall that I put on my suit for the second time a couple weeks ago, but I got word during my conference last week that there will be no move to West Seattle in the offing. No worries; I didn't think it was in the cards anyway.

But the the biggest deal today is that I need to get the bike out of the shed and drag my sorry butt up to Bothell. My personal biking season has traditionally started on April 1, but thanks mostly to the weather, we have had a delayed opening this year. In an attempt to avoid the total fiasco that was last year (after two good seasons in a row), I have signed up for Bike-to-Work Month this May. Because of the conference, today is the first day I can participate, and the weather is cooperating, my first class isn't until 1:15 pm, and there's no excuse. Wish me luck!

(Clockpunk bicycle-parts orrery courtesy Cabinet of Wonders.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I too am dusting off and pumping up the Dingomobile, damn the rain.