Monday, May 26, 2008

I must be on one of those Martian days...

Hey, so the official first weekend of summer is behaving accordingly! Although I wimped out and took the bus instead of the scooter yesterday, the threatening clouds never did more than glare and glower, and the afternoon turned out to be fine indeed.

Otis headed out to Carnation for some woo-time with a pal, so I mass transited downtown to meet up with Neds and Mr. X, new to the gang (but soon to get a full immersion courtesy of the mechanism of GURPS). We broke fast, had coffee, ate donuts, and generally geeked it for a while until I caught the bus back for the RD.

In the evening, Otis and I made a semi-impulse buy to help stimulate the economy: we bought a pretty fancy dining table from Craig's List. Or at least we secured it; today, we will be getting it back to the house.

And it looks like it will be another fine day for it.

Last year on this day I wrote these words:

Let us honor on Memorial Day all those who gave their lives in service while doing their duty, and let us hope that our country never squanders the sacrifice that so many are willing to make.

It saddens me that so many more service personnel and civilians have been sacrificed in our current misadventure, and I hope someday soon this day of memorial reflects only upon the losses of the distant past and those of not last week.

No comments: