Saturday, May 19, 2007

Mind, body, and soul

So, the package came late yesterday and early this morning I installed new memory into my G4 800Mhz "desk lamp" iMac, bringing the RAM into this stylish but somewhat antiquated machine to its maximum 768 MB. (I think I can get more if I have the dealer do it.) I wanted some more memory almost on principle, but also because I have been having trouble watching embedded videos, and I thought it would help. Well, I have been browsing a bit this morning, and the YouTube stuff seems to be streaming fine, but occasional clips still give me trouble - the Colbert Clip on Wheylona's blog, for example, is out of synch and keeps dropping out. I had thought - and still think - that there must also be a driver or codec issue going on, but I have downloaded every plugin I could find and have checked every forum I could fin, and I still can't figure out what's missing. Any ideas?

I'm looking out the window and I'm still not sure if the PB&J ride will be happening today; it was raining pretty hard a while ago, and the weather guys say showers on and off all day today. I'm going to put the rack on the car and the bike on the rack, and I'll be roaming around from about 9:30 am until about 3:15 pm while Otis works today, and I'll make sure I'm down at Gasworks Park at 11:30, but I make no specific promises. I want to ride, but not so strongly that I want to get real wet while doing it.

Last night, Otis and I went up to Edmonds so she could walk around the Convention Center with her name tag on as an On Wing Artist at the Puget Sound Bird Fest. One of her pieces was being shown in the juried art show associated with the Fest, and Otis had the pleasure of being informed by the show coordinator that hers was one of the more controversial pieces, generating a lot of buzz from viewers. The Putnam Clan, Sailor Sue, Sarry and Warry, and Gale all came out in support, as did Kris-10, whose late arrival led into a late-night snack -- and a late-night home. (Sorry to have to miss Johnbai and the gang in their post-arachnid disappointment.)

6 comments:

Jon Myers said...

Does it happen in more than one browser?

Walaka said...

Oh, yes it does.

Jon Myers said...

Maybe - run the hardware test from the installation disk to make sure that the memory you installed is OK. You can also download Rember which is a great app for checking memory problems. You might want to reset your PRAM and reset permissions etc to see if there is some conflict?

Walaka said...

Jon: I don't think there's a problem with the memory. The video difficulties pre-existed; the YouTube videos actually do play better after I installed the new memory than before (and other programs show improvement as well). This jerkiness from non-YouTube videos really seems more like a codec problem. But I'll poke around when I get a chance.

Jon Myers said...

So does it happen when you play the videos in different players (QuickTime, Real etc)?

Walaka said...

Downloaded or streaming video that I get to choose the player for play fine; it's the embedded videos that don't go so well.