Thursday, May 24, 2007

In Charlotte, they called it "Winzy"

The clock is clearly winding down on the quarter. Yesterday was my "long" day, but it was pretty low wattage as the bulk of the activity has moved to the students by now (as well it should).

Otis had a low-key day, too. After pulling an all-day chair massage gig with b on Tuesday, she took Wednesday off, got her own regular massage, and had lunch with her mother. I think she even watched American Idol.

I did finally connect by phone with the Whatcom VP, and he did offer me a job (looks like one of top four pulled out and they had to go to the bench). I, of course, declined, but I have to say it was nice to get another offer.

An additional positive benefit of this job business has been connecting with some pals after too long a time. Sometimes it takes exceptional news - good or bad - to crack the ice of inertia and help us re-establish contact with people we should never have lost touch with in the first place.

I must also say that from a certain perspective, I have had it easy with this process. I have only been adjuncting for three years, and really only looked for a job through two September cycles. In Washington, the average length of service as an adjunct before becoming full-time is eight years. It's a wonder to me that the institutions can keep the number of qualified educators that they do.

Now, if I could just get the miles clicking on the bike, all would be right with the world...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean--for those of us who think of ourselves as good correspondents, it's shocking to realizes that months or even years have passed since I talked to some people. Having a baby is a perfect excuse to break the ice--you have a builtin excuse for being out of touch AND the good news to share AND no one can be too mad at you. I've reconnceted with more than few old college and even high school friends in the last year, even as I have let more recent friendships slide. I am glad to know that your good news is also bringing out the friends!

Oh, and a certain bunny lover's birthday is monday. Just a heads up.