Saturday, May 12, 2007

Good day and prom night

Yesterday was swell! After a pretty nifty morning, I proctored an in-class essay for my noon class, and then scootered over to Nordstrom at Northgate. After showing my visa at the door, I went in and found some nice dress knee socks, suitable for formal kilting. Success!

Since Otis was busy, I took the opportunity to scooter up to Cap Hill to welcome Johnbai back from his trip abroad. He gifted me with a Belgian comic purchase, a French-language story set in Southern California about five luchadores who fight werewolves, tiki warriors, and dinosaurs. Cool! He also brought back some peach plutonium for Otis: apparently, a few drops in anything turns it super-peachy. Even more than his presents, I enjoyed his presence as we sat at a sidewalk cafe and enjoyed burrito (him) and smoothie (me). Welcome back!

The evening was set aside for the Cascadia Formal Ball Cruise. Stella and Sairey came by the house and we all headed down to the waterfront to spend the night on a private Argosy harbor cruise. Of course, we had the obligatory mug shots first:


Now that is some Celtic attitude


Formal Stella


Thoroughly Modern Otis


It's the socks, dude!

The ball was actually quite fun. There were about 150 people there, mostly students but with a goodly sprinkling of staff and faculty. There was no alcohol, but the soft drinks flowed freely and there were good hors d'oeuvre and desserts - including a Fountain o' Chocolate into which guests could dip strawberries, marshmallows, decadent creme puffs, and I guess anything else they wanted to. The deejay wasn't the best I've ever heard, and the tunes leaned heavily to beat-box rap, but there was a good chunk in the middle portion of the night when he played some rock and disco , so we all had a chance to cut the rug a bit. The night was beautiful and Elliot bay was mostly calm, so it was a fine experience all the way around.

Of course, it seems that the student government subsidized the event to the tune of about $60 per person, so I don't think we could quite get the same bang for our fifteen bucks as we did last night ever again. I also wonder just how much gasoline we used motoring around the sound for three hours. So it goes.

Today's agenda is supposed to include a great deal of work, but it's so nice out I don't know how much is actually going to get done. Johnbai wants to play in the park, and I think that might happen sooner rather than later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute... the Stella you've been referring to all this time is actually MEL? Like, our Mel??

No wonder I've never met the mysterious Stella...


Sapounizidas

Anonymous said...

You mean "anonymous" is actually the soapster? It all falls into place now.......