Thursday, May 10, 2007

It's the cat's meow

I got up about an hour ago (and it was a lot sunnier then!) and went to check the cats, both of whom spent the night outside. Mountie just wanted to eat, but Selkie came in and started following me around. I tried to pass him off to Otis, who was still sleeping, but he wasn't having any of it: he had decided he wanted head-butts and chin scratches and that he wanted them from me. I had to pay a lot of attention to him while my morning Welsh tea (thanks, Stella!) was steeping; I guess it was sufficient, since he eventually went back outside for breakfast and his morning constitutional.

Yesterday was a decent day, work-wise: I had the students doing most of the heavy lifting, and personal conferences for my evening class. The next two days will mostly comprise proctoring writing, so I should slide into the weekend pretty smoothly. After being taken to school by Jon of Monmouth yesterday, I am going to try to clock some miles on the bike more than just to NSCC and back, too. Oh, and I got an email yesterday that included this:

Due to delays in completing our 2007-2008 Budget Review process, we will not be able to confirm our decisions on the hiring of full-time tenure track positions by May 10th ... we anticipate being able to begin making offers around May 17 or 18.

So, I have to wait another week to find out which way the thumb is pointing. No big deal, in the long run, anyway; the job doesn't start until September. It does mean that I have to complete some backup-plan job applications that I had thought I could postpone pending official notice from Cascadia, so that's something else I'll be doing this weekend.

I also have to find some black knee socks. Otis and I will be joining Stella and Sairey at the Cascadia formal dance cruise on Friday night. I'll be wearing my gray serge kilt and debuting my formal jacket, but I realized I don't have any appropriate socks. Ah, the travails of a beau brummel, eh?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Here's a deal I've been meaning to post for a month:

Which of these are the plots of Archie comics and which are the plots of indie films from the latest Madison, Wisconsin Film Festival?

1) In three days the local high school is holding a talent show, and four friends hatch a plan to learn a few pop tunes in time for the concert. But crisis looms when one the only girl who knows how to play has to drop out. The only replacement available is Son, a Korean exchange student. Can they pull it off?

2) A Vietnam veteran begins a harrowing voyage of redemption as he coaches a high school baseball team.

3) When a couple of guys attending the Air Guitar World Championships realized that no American was participating, they create a U.S. contest to decide who will represent the country and rock for the Red, White and Blue.

4) Could you survive in a world without oil? An unexpecting everyman wakes up to this nightmare.

5) What is a man without a car? Left without a ride, two heroes band together to enter a vehicle building competition with a first prize of a car. On the way, they learn a valuable lesson about ingenuity and stick-to-it-iveness

6) Curious about how so much corn gets into our food supply, two city folk move to farm country and buy one single acre of corn — a little corner patch in a huge field.

7) Terry is a teacher who supervises the detention period and his life is getting dull. Feeling like the discipline that he's required to dole out is stealing away some of his soul, he decides to play nice with the two students in today's session.

8) A cartoonist gets a chance of a lifetime – but is it worth dropping out of school?

Original posting and the answers are here.

No comments: