Thursday, May 03, 2007

And the wheel grinds slowly on...

First of all, I want to thank everyone who called or wrote or spoke me to with words of support in the job application process. It's a good feeling to know that your destiny matters to others.

In response to JustJon's hopes that this interview was a formality: the executive officers met with six candidates and will select two people for teaching positions. So I guess that puts my odds at one-in-three, not quite a slam-dunk.

I do know that my references were checked beginning yesterday, but I don't know if the college is checking references for all six candidates or just for their front-runners. (BTW, thanks for the ref and the message, Madame Dean!)

I was told to expect news around May 10, so there's not too long a wait. In the meanwhile, I'll just put it out of my mind and get on with gettin' on.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Wow, how about that sinkhole, huh? All big and watery and stuff? Yeah. Otis and I actually watched a little bit of the 11:00 news last night, to find out if the U-Bridge was going to remained closed for a while (it is). Man, local news sucks. All it showed was different car wrecks and train wrecks and life wrecks. I don't think in the fifteen minutes or so that I could stand that they even mentioned anything like, oh, I don't know, the war or the federal government or the state government or the city government - oh wait, they did mention that the mayor was concerned about sinkholes. Sheesh. I know this is all old news (heh) to everyone, but I really haven't seen local news in like a year or so, so it was pretty jarring.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I took my brand-new old iBook laptop to class last night (it's more like a writing lab than a traditional class) and felt all dialed in and stuff, until one of the students unveiled her brand-new, G5 duo processor MacBook with all the bells and whistles, and then I felt once again like I was driving a 1972 Dodge Dart with a faded vinyl roof. Actually, the new computer is just fine and does all that I need to and more.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I have no recent pictures to show, so here's one from exactly a year ago:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you could do handstands, Walter.

Soapy


p.s. nice pants

Courtney Putnam said...

Can you believe Walaka is wearing pants? Shocking! He has a mean hand-stand pose, though. Next time you see him, ask him to do his super-duper handstand. You won't be disappointed!