Friday, May 18, 2007

Good stuff

Today's tidbits are brought to you (for no particular reason) by the Imaginary Airship Association



Yesterday was a pretty darn good day, with at-home work, in-class work, and at-coffee-shop work coming in turns, and a nice long walk in the Ravenna Crevasse and dinner at the Bombay Grill (with a coupon) for the fun bits. Here's hoping today is half as mellow.



Tonight is Otis's artists' reception up in Edmonds. It's a long way out from our usual stomping grounds, but it should be a pleasant, sunny evening, so if you're looking for a mini road-trip, stop by.



I want to comment on two recent bloggings that I think are outstanding:

Yojimbo's serial review of the "'I Want' Songs of Howard Ashman" is just marvelous. It has a strong conceit, is well-delivered, and displays the kind of critical thinking and compositional unity that I try to get across in my classes. Yojimbo supports his analysis of this musical trope with appropriate multi-media items, tying the whole thing up in a neat package that is a perfect example of long-form blogging. I don't know why he's giving this stuff away for free, when it could be an article in a "real" magazine. Now, if we could just get him to change that black background...

Johnbai's essay about his side trip to Ireland from Brussels starts out as one of those who-I-saw-and-what-I-drank posts, but somehow magically changes into a thoughtful observation on world affairs, building a strong metaphor almost accidentally and sustaining it through the rest if the piece. A small jewel.

I like that I was here at the start of this tiny little pocket universe of blogging that we have built; I like even better seeing how everyone has advanced the cause, each in his or her own way. Whenever I am about to begin thinking that I waste too much time blogging, items like this come up, and I don't.



Back in the real world: Otis has some appointments mid-day tomorrow, so I'm thinking of taking a PB&J bike ride. You remember those, right? You pack a lunch, meet at someplace like Gasworks Park, as some time like 11:30 or so, and ride out to someplace like Matthews Beach, and eat your sammich, and ride back? Anyone up for that on Saturday? I'll be there, no matter what. I need to get some miles in, but I need them to be flat. Come on out, why dontcha?



It my short-but-sweet-soapbox speech yesterday morning, I forgot to mention that Wednesday we celebrated the First of Jenuary. Old pal J-Force, as we all do from time to time, is taking some specific steps for renewal and growth; in aid of that, Otis and I passed part of the day with her, lunching in Ballard and watching late-night melodramas together. Three cheers for self-actualization!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

John said...

Walaka, you softy. Such unironic praise! Thank you.