Thursday, May 03, 2007

The beat goes on

So, we're dialed in by remote, sitting in the Tully's with twin iBooks, enjoying the community of Wallingfordians and watching the traffic hack its way across 45th Street. At least the bridge is open again.

That job thing: Today was a pretty low-key day, except that I received more notifications from referees that they had been contacted regarding my Cascadia application. It's hard not to take that as an encouraging sign, but I am trying not to think that much about it one way or another.

Memory, all alone in the moonlight: So, this new box has a good chunk of memory: 128M+516M. Nice, and it runs fast even for a G3. My iMac has 256M+256M; not so much, and I think I could use more. Otis's iBook has only 256M+0M; not nearly enough to keep her moving along. So I thought: I can buy a 516M chip for my computer, and move one 256 to Otis's, and we'll leverage the upgrade costs! But. Her chips are different from my chips, so that won't work. We will each have to buy our own new chip, and I will be left with a 256M chip and no place to put it. Grrrr. Still working on that one.

Alternate reality: What if, as Franklin Roosevelt proposed on the eve of World War II, a temporary Jewish settlement had been established on the Alaska panhandle? Isn't that the coolest idea you have heard in a long time? Well, apparently the plan was real, and Michael Chabon has written a book based on the premise that it actually happened. He's going to be at Third Place Books in LFP on Tuesday, May 15 at 7:00 pm. I'm a-gonna be there, and so is Otis. Y'all wanna come?

Everything today is thoroughly modern: Roosevelt High School is doing Thoroughly Modern Millie for their spring musical, so you know I'm going to be dragged Otis and I will be going to see it. So are a lot of Otis's friends; it looks like Thursday, May 24 is shaping up to be the date. Since it's just down the street, we'll be hosting a coffee-an' at the house afterwards.

(I known that stuff rightly belongs on the other blog; I'll cross-post later.)

2 comments:

John said...

Only superhero fare at the local Belgian comic book store was Darwyn Cooke`s New Frontier Justice League series... I liked the look of it... But figured you had already seen it.

Anonymous said...

"We will each have to buy our own new chip, and I will be left with a 256M chip and no place to put it."

You can put it on eBay. It should fetch, oh, enough for two lattes. Or if your dining room table wobbles you could also wedge the chip under one of the legs.

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" is very upbeat. The typewriter tapdance scene is a sight to behold and a sound to behear. Should you somehow enjoy the play, I would recommend Andrew Lippa's "The Wild Party."

Soapy