Thursday, May 17, 2007

Chop wood, carry water

Well, I haven't actually gotten the letter yet, but I have received some emails, so I guess it wasn't all a delusion episode. The funny thing is that as big a deal as this is, nothing will really change (besides my attitude) until September: I need to finish out the quarter (obviously) and my summer teaching plans will remain unchanged.

I wish that getting a position like this one wasn't the big deal that it is; those who choose teaching should be able to find work with less hullabaloo; there's certainly a need for teachers in the community. My own college offers enough English classes every quarter to keep between eight and twelve full-timers busy, yet the current staff totals only four (moving to five this September). This means that the majority of English classes (most of which are core, required classes) are being taught by part-timers. There are a lot of economic and policy reasons for this, but it still doesn't add up to right or fair, and I can't help but think that the establishment of universal health care would go a long way toward eliminating this imbalance, since benefits costs seem to be the primary factor.

Okay, soapbox off. I should be thanking everyone who sent their congratulations and good wishes, so now I am. Few things are more gratifying than the sincere support of good friends, and I have felt that in spades over the past twenty-four hours. Thanks, gang!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats! I know just had damn hard it is to get a "real" job teaching at the college level--you're one of the few (the proud . . . ). I am glad I played some tiny part of that! See you at the academic conferences we'll be sure to attend together in the future!

John said...

I guess this means you won't be moving to Hawaii or New York?! I hope we can count on you and Otis to remain fellow Seattlites for a while.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You know, I have no idea what it is you're teaching these days. I'm back to ESL. I think you're dealing with the natives, n'est pas? Anyway, congrats! As the Deaf would sign, 'PAH!' (Translation: It's about damn time!)

Darby (aka Drabley-Smythe)

Anonymous said...

A full time teaching position - Congratulations! I know you'll quickly become one of the most sought after teachers! (After all, how many other English teachers read comic books!)

Walaka said...

Calico: I'll meet you at the bagel bar!

John: Yah, we're here for a while

Darby: Hey, girl! I heard you have moved back to ESL-what up with that? I will be teaching mostly composition - I teach some other fun writing classes at Antioch, too. When you comin' up?

HSF: The goal would be "the most sought-after teacher," comic books or no. Who you,anyway? Will I see you in Vegas?

Thanks for the notes, all!

Anonymous said...

So, how many friends from high school read your blog? I won't see you in Vegas (although Vegas is one of my favorite places!), but if I ever get back out to Seattle for another visit with Boeing, I'll give you and Otis a call.