Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Amateur night

That's where I'm broadcasting from right now - courtesy of open mike at Third Place Books. The constant line-up of would-be folksingers represents a lot of enthusiasm, if uneven talent.

I was commenting on the vagaries of self-employment and the academic life earlier today. On the one hand, Otis and I had a relatively free morning; I didn't have to go anywhere until noon and was back by 1:30. Most people have to leave the house early and stay at work all day. On the other hand, I was responding papers all afternoon, and again for an hour or more after dinner, and Otis was reading high school projects. So I guess the difference is all in the arrangement, eh?

We did make it out to Golden Gardens yesterday; here are some more "summer" snapshots:


Walaka looking tough, if not buff.


Otis, making the same moves as every Japanese ESL student I've ever had

Today was just as nice - I rode to school, but didn't get another chance after that. The weather turned abruptly right about 5:45 pm - the temperature must have dropped ten degrees in as many minutes. I could stand as much spring as we could get, myself.

Oh, and some good news: I thought I lost two paychecks, but I didn't. Yay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Walaka: "Lay down in the sand. Look I'm not gonna hurtcha, just lay down."


Otis: "We are being treated very well. Please do not bomb our captors."


Soapy