Monday, March 05, 2007

What's the opposite of "under the gun"?

How can I feel anything but great on such a wonderful sunny afternoon?

Yesterday was the beginning of the good times. I got a slug of work done and even got a phone call to JustJon in, all before Otis was finished with her morning appointment.

The matinee on Friday was so much fun, we decided to do it again. We did the call-email-and-text thing, and wound up meeting Dingo at the Varsity for a screening of Tears of the Black Tiger. This film-festival-favorite was described as a Thai Western, and turned out to be an over-the-top crime story/romantic comedy/adventure/tragedy/epic/musical. If you took a little Sergio Leone, some Don Siegel, a bit of Peckinpaugh, a dash of Lynch, and just a pinch of Sirk, threw it in a blender with some psilocybin mushrooms, and then filmed it in technicolor, and you'd come pretty close to this movie. Cowboys in Bangkok: yee-ha!

After the film, we shared some coffee and cookies, feeling rather out of place among all the students in the coffee shop; we may have been the only ones not doing homework. That was waiting for me when we came home: I got the last of my grading and prep out of the way in plenty of time to have a relaxing evening.

Today, I taught morning classes, which went straightforwardly, and then came home to find I was pretty much caught up! I have a little prep to do, but really I'm pretty light in the do-list department. That will all change tomorrow, when final portfolios for Antioch start coming in, but overall this is a less burdensome week for me.

We took advantage of the lull and walked to the Wallingford post office to take care of some business. On the way, we got a positively chirpy phone call from Dingo, who was in her new position at the U and reveling in her private office and view; that added to the sunniness of the day. Later, we went the long way to the grocery store, via Golden Gardens Park, to rush the season with the first sunny beach walk. And photos:


The day made me so happy...


Don't be afraid to sweep the leg!


Bollywood on the beach


Sparkly


Ahrt: tracks


Some rusted metal for Johnbai

Now it's time for a little falafel, a little bit of work, and the evening can slide into night.

Wish me luck on my interview!

3 comments:

Jon Myers said...

Good Luck on the interview - fingers and other parts being crossed down in the valley.

Anonymous said...

You will KILL them in the interview. But don't take the job- stay here in Seattle.

diane

Maggie said...

Luck!

Mags