Wednesday, March 14, 2007

It's Billy de Wolfe time again

I am working my way through my list in anticipation of the end of the quarter and the upcoming trip to the Sandwich Isles Kingdom of Hawaii. Between school and house stuff, it looks like posting got squeezed out!

Sunday was sweet: shortly after my remote post, a wet and sweaty Stella showed up and we shared a coffee and some catch-up. Then we swung back to the RD to hook up with Otis and swing down to Thai-Ger to meet Dingo for lunch. There was a bit of a dicey moment when it seemed I might not get my corn fritters, but the incident passed without crisis and lunch was letter-perfect.

The great lunch was just a prelude to a great movie: Jean Renoir's 1939 The Rules of the Game, which managed to be both entertaining and funny as well as intellectually rich. The trailers quoted Robert Altman as saying this film was one of his influences; seeing it, you can discern Renoir's fingerprints all over Altman's Gosford Park.

We had a chance to ponder this (and many other things) at Cafe Trabant over tea and cider.

Monday was work all day, morning class and afternoon assessing, until Stella came for an appointment with Otis and stayed for dinner.

Tuesday was a long day again: morning class, then a meeting at Antioch, then afternoon class in Bothell, and then replacing the usual evening class with staying late in Bothell and prepping. I only made it home in time for a late dinner and later run to Target for some trip-related stuff. Good news: I got to have lunch with the Dollwoman, and it had been too long. Bad news: I managed to miss a conference call with Liam and my old HS gang.

Today holds morning classes and work-until-it's-done on my Antioch stuff - no split shift today! I hope to be done by dinner so I can have the evening for more house stuff.

I love getting ready for vacation!

Bonus link for all my linguistically-inclined buddies: A comprehensive look at the great U.S. pop-soda divide. (Check out the county-by-county map.)

No comments: