Saturday, March 03, 2007

The devil is in the details

Yesterday was a many-splendored thing, full of lots of little bits. I started with two classes, of course: one was doing an in-class essay and the other a pre-writing workshop, so I didn't have to be too high-wattage. Upon my return, I had a massage appointment; how con-veen-yent! I don't know why I don't get more massages...

Afterwards, I took Otis out to lunch up at Chef Liao's near our old apartment (and I still say you can't beat their lunch special with a stick). I made a half-hearted attempt to find reading sunglasses at Walgreen's, and then we made a successful foray to Value Village in Ballard to score me some interviewing trousers. I should look suitable academic for the folks in Whatcom County on Tuesday.

From Ballard, we made the long trek over to Wallingford to the Mac Store. When we left, Otis had a shiny new iPod Shuffle to wear as she runs around the lake.

Since we were in the area and hand a hankering for some popcorn, we hung around at Half-Price Books for a while and then caught the last matinee at the Metro. We saw Children of Men and it was every bit as good as everybody said it was. (I read a long review afterwards that said it wasn't as good or as complex as the book, but that never seems like a fair criticism to me.)

By the way, Otis was wondering about the title, so I Googled it, and it comes from the King James Version of Psalm 90:

Lord, thou hast been our refuge:
from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
or ever the earth and the world were made:
thou art God from everlasting,
and world without end.
Thou turnest man to destruction:
again thou sayest, Come again, ye children of men.
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday:
Seeing that is past as a watch in the night.

We got home and had dinner just in time to miss the showing of The Departed that Soapy was going to. We passed a busy-ish but quiet even at home, taking care of cat and house stuff. We went to bed early and man, I had the best sleep I've had in a while.

I actually have a lighter responding load this weekend than is usual, so of course Otis is busy with appointments and family stuff. Ah, well.

No comments: