Monday, June 12, 2006

Two in a row (and more)

B2Keno - 13.3 / Streak - 2 go

Boy, what a jam-packed day! I got up at my usual six-something, did the email & blog reading thing, and then headed out for a bike ride. Mathews Beach and back, 14.2 miles, and I was home (sweaty and rained-on) by 8:15. Yay, me!

I then had to take Otis to the Ridge, since her brother still has her car and she worked for Hi-Lai today. While I was out, I stopped at a coffee shop and graded final portfolios for a couple of hours. I returned home and had lunch before spending another couple of hours completing the last calculations for final grades for two classes, and getting in a few phone calls. Then I had to scoot back to Phinney and pick Otis up.

We headed downtown to Cost Plus, just for fun, and to look for curtains. We found some fun, but had no luck on the curtains. In a festive mood nonetheless, we splurged on dinner at - no lie - The Old Spaghetti Factory, and can report that it is every bit as mundane as you remember it. We were then off to Value Village in Crown Hill, where we once again did not find curtains (although Otis scored some neat summer clothes). It was still early, so we zoomed up to the Crest and caught a showing of Mrs. Palfey at The Claremont. It was a sweet, touching movie with some great performance.

Then it was home to a demanding neighbor-kitty. Maybe thunderstorms tonight - we hope!

:::::::::::

In case you were wondering what Mighty Mel is up to, she is in the middle of a trip to Northport, Michigan to retrieve some furniture that was hand-made by her late uncle. Never before has she so lived up to her name: she left Woodinville on Saturday morning driving alone in a borrowed truck, and by noon today (Monday) she had driven 2,000 miles to Manitowoc, WI. Oh, and then she took a four-hour ferry ride and drove another 120 miles or so to her destination. What could top that? Well, she's leaving Michigan on Wednesday morning so she can get back here by Friday night! My stars and garters! To show you just how nuts this is, here's a map of her route (click for WTF bigness):



When she gets in on Friday, Otis and I will be meeting her in Woodinville so that she doesn;t have to haul all the stuff up the stairs to her apartment by herself. If you're free, join us; we can even carpool.

:::::::::::

Farmer Scott has a busted pin. In telling me how he hurt his knee bad enough to inhibit getting in and out of his truck, Scott said in his usual matter-of fact way "I was running, and then I wasn't." Send him good energy, okay?

:::::::::::

Hey, if you don't think that you will have had enough socializing after the Solstice Parade, come on put to the RD for dinner. JJ is working parade day and can't make the festivities, but she's saving the evening for us. Come over early and we'll slap a DVD on the Big Wall or play some preprandial games.
:::::::::::

Once again, Blogger crapped out on me when publsihing this post and i had to rewrite the whole thing. Grrr. One of my comics-blogging coleagues has gotten so fed up with Blogger he moved to Wordpress. Anyone know anything about them?


6 comments:

Jon Myers said...

Just went to play with Word Press. It seems a lot more powerful but a lot more involved. The other initial downside is that each separate account needs a separate e-mail address so unless you wanted to make your existing blogs 'pages' within one larger space, you would need to open up enough e-mail accounts (though you may have multiple ones already through Comcast - I have several yahoo ones that I could use I guess).

wheylona said...

One thing I quite like about WordPress and that keeps drawing me back to thinking about moving is the category feature. Also, I'm so sick of the Blogger look that I'm liking a lot WordPress's more streamlined look.

No idea if they beat Blogger in the stability department, but from my a-researchin' it seems that "serious" people who start in Blogger eventually move to WordPress, whatever that's worth.

I set up a Viva clone on WordPress a while back, and it didn't seem all that more involved than Blogger. Set up a clone page and play, then go live if you like it.

wheylona said...

Also, going back amidst the archives and getting permalinks to my own previous posts is not as streamlined in Blogger as I'd like it to be. Not sure if WP does it better--gonna go check.

Jon Myers said...

Sorted out the email thing - somewhat fiddly on 56k dial up but still not sure I am going to migrate until I have a faster connection and more time.

wheylona said...

OK, call me a damn flip-flopper, but after playing around more with my Word Press page this morning, I am no longer thinking about migrating. I DO like the category feature and also the fact that you can have separate pages and the fact that there is a utility that will migrate all your stuff from Blogger to Word Press. BUT the interface is a little more complex (of course with more practice I'd get better) and it is in other ways LESS flexible than Blogger--at least with Blogger you can do quite a lot of customizing by monkeying with the template if you want, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the free WP product. So...for now I live with Blogger and its imperfections.

Oh, and duh, I had permalinks all along but just didn't know it--the posting time at the end of my posts is also the permalink...

Ned said...

You over-achieving, managing-your-time -well folk are getting me down today! Good on you, though.