Monday, June 05, 2006

Truth and dare

B2Keno = 12.8

So, I tried to blog this morning but the Blogger was broken. Hmpf.

Yesterday was pretty much the way we anticipated it. After brekkies, we walked down to Cafe Maree near Green Lake ( a place where I once spent a long afternoon grading papers with Wheylona) to grade papers. We had some lunch at the lake and then came home for more bidness and grading.

But then, after leftovers for dinner, we walked down to the Guild 45th to catch An Inconvenient Truth. (Well, actually, we walked to the Neptune to see it, but it wasn't playing there, so we walked to the Guild from there.) It is a great documentary - and has more in it about Gore than the previews let on. Worth seeing.

Today was the penultimate day of class at Cascadia, and just in time for quarter's end I had one of those one-door-closes-another-opens deals: after losing one of the four classes I had at Antioch, I was offered two classes for summer at North Seattle. (Ironically, the classes are available because another adjunct got a full-time job at Highline.) I said yes because

(a) The classes are two sections of English 102- Speculative fiction: conscious evolution in film and literature. Not that I know what that means, but it sounds like fun.
(b) The classes meet Monday through Thursday back to back starting at 9:30 am, so the schedule is workable and I still have three-day weekends.
(c) Summer quarter is only eight weeks long.
(d) It's the Benjamins, man! Seattle District pays the best.

So, that was a welcome bolt from the blue, even if it means a little less time for playing this summer.

Anyway, today was the last day of class, and my students did group presentations. One group chose to do a short substance abuse awareness morality play called (I kid you not) Drugs Are Bad. It was actually a pretty clever skit (that included personifications of alcohol, marijuana, prescription drugs, and cocaine) and they supported it with some direct instruction, but overall it was like some kind of demented D.A.R.E. program put at an alternative high school.

And weirdness continued on the way home from class. One of my sneaker laces came loose, and the pedal started winding it up, so I had to backpedal to get loose (not the first time I've had to do that, eh?) and stop to tie my sneakers. Then, shortly afterwards, I rode through a bunch of gnats and swallowed some. I grabbed my water bottle to take a drink and rinse my mouth and when I went to put it back in the rack, I dropped it and had to go back to get it. A little while after that, I went over a bump and my pannier just flew right off and i had to go back to get it. Plus, everybody kept getting in the way today, and i had stop stop at lights I never get caught at. Bad Burke-Gilman karma, I guess.

Hey, check out the group blog for some discussion on event and let's make some good juju.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm all for the drive-in option. It is time-travelling to the mid 70's to see a movie there, I kid you not.