Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Help, I'm being edited!

First of all, Dingo has correctly corrected my list of books for my new class. It is indeed The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick to which I was referring. I don't know where "tower" came from but I don't think the error was random; the New York Times has made the same mistake (see question six in this quiz). Anyway, it's a great book and I'm looking forward to teaching with it.

Second of all, some anonymous commenter has beaten me to the punch of promoting Scotty's new show this Friday. Here's a link to Scotty's blog, with pictures and stuff, and if you're too lazy to click, here's the full text of his flogmail:

I just wanted to say hello and wish you all a happy summer and invite you to one of my upcoming shows. This is one that I'm especially excited about and happy to recommend. The show is this Friday at the Pink Door at 9:00pm. The show is completely free of charge.

It is a very special show for a couple of reasons. One is that this is the first time for me to collaborate with Greg Adair of the Moon Penny Opera and Circus Contraption, although he is a long time friend and role model. As far as I know, Greg is the pioneer of the Stanislavsky approach to Clown, a method which I learned from him and have been using for years. He is the composer of a large number of original masterpieces, each one as heartwarming and twisted as the last, and you don't want to miss a second of this event.

In addition, I'll be doing my long-time cabaret act, but also presenting my new autobiographical mop and bucket love story, a fifteen second performance of Hamlet, and the world debut of my Flying Spumonis Trapeze Act!

Add to that the fact that the Pink Door is the coolest little venue in Seattle; tucked away behind an unmarked Pink Door in the Pike Place Market, featuring great food and the coolest mural of Pierrot I've ever seen, a permanent trapeze, and a stage shaped like a baby grand piano, and you have yourself some reasons to come!

The show starts at 9:00 but if you come a little early you'll be sure to get some seats and have a chance to eat before the show starts. Feel free to bring a camera or a video camera if you have one to help me document this milestone of my career. Scotty Walsh and Greg Adair, Live Behind the Pink Door.
Do we want to meet somewhere beforehand?

Interlude: Because this is such a text-heavy post, here's an image, for Johnbai:




We now resume:

Third of all, Soapy's Birthday was celebrated in grand style last night. Thousands of people thronged Broadway and spontaneous demonstrations sprang up all across Capitol Hill; mounted police had to be called in to control the crowds. Actually, I'm guessing at that stuff, but given the size of the group at The Garage when Otis and I stopped by to give our best wishes, I wouldn't be surprised. Happy Birthday, Steve!

We couldn't stay long, because Otis was up against deadlines again, and after working late last night she will be working most of the day - and she has a massage client, too! For me, today = go to school early to get started on final grading and then have The Last Class of the Quarter. (I am actually looking forward to a summer that will be busier than this spring was - I find I manage my work more effectively when I am busy.)

N.B.: I typed this whole post out and Blogger ate it. I had to rewrite it from scratch, just like historian Thomas Carlyle "had to rewrite The French Revolution after he had sent the manuscript to John Stuart Mill, whose maid burned it - the only copy - for waste paper." Well, maybe not just like that, but it still took a few minutes.

1 comment:

John said...

Ugghhh... too... many... words.