Tuesday, June 27, 2006

In the heat of the day*

It is that hot, langourous part of the afternoon; this time of day is usually my slow time, and the heat just makes it even more so. Otis is off for tea in Mongolia, so I am hiding in the relative cool of the lower level. I think we may try a bike ride after dinner, when the temperature has moderated a bit.

I have been biking the past two days, but only on my NSCC commute, and that's only five miles roundtrip. Tomorrow I'll add a loop to the comics store on the return leg to see if I can squeeze in a few more miles without making a separate trip.

The commute itself has been a thing in doubt. No kidding, even on the first day of class, my dean was talking cancellation. Both sections were under the usual minima for a class to run; heck, truth be told, even combined they were barely at the maximum enrollment allowed for one class. As it turned out, since it is a required class, and since the numbers were right on the cusp, she let them both run, but it was a near thing and I might have had one class only (which wouldn't have been a terrible thing). The classes look to be just fine, although it is odd to teach the same lesson plan back-to-back with two different sets of students.

Working as much as I am just means that I have to plan out the important stuff, like seeing Otis's friend Angela yesterday, and seeing her and her husband Lyle tomorrow, and doing Superman Returns (oh, check out this review) tomorrow night, and so on and so forth, including more Summer Outdoor Spectration events, like the one pictured here:



Clicky for a bigger, annotated version

Okay, it might be time for dip in the pool right about now.

*Of course, bitchin' rights are held by JustJon, with little chance of a challenge - 108 degrees! That's flippin' hot!

1 comment:

Jon Myers said...

I have two classes that I teach both in the morning and the evening on the same days. I also have some students who attend both the morning and the evening sessions. Yet, the classes usually end up being very different and go off in different directions. It will be interesting to hear what your experience is.

Only 94.8F today - positively chilly, what!