Friday, June 02, 2006

Easy money

Last week I signed up for a focus group on Craig's List. Something about over-thirty renters, a 90-minute interview, and a $100 thank-you envelope, so I sent an e-mail and was selected.

So I head down there yesterday afternoon at 2:45, to a small office block on Eastlake near Julia's, park for free, take the elevator up, and check in. The receptionist gives me a little standing card with my name on it and tells me to look through the magazines in the lobby and pull out two pictures: one that represents an apartment I could reasonably rent and one that represents what "downtown living" means to me.

I sit in the lobby leafing through Home Decor and Apartment Life. I pull out a picture of one of the units from the Queen Anne High School conversion and another that shows a skyline and views.

A few minutes later the receptionist announces that they have "over-recruited" for the session but that everyone showed up; she will call out names for people to follow her: no name, stay in the lobby.

The she says "Matthew, Mark, Luke, John" (or maybe it was "John, Paul, George, Ringo") and these four other mooks follow her into this little conference room and I am left alone in the lobby with my clippings.

She comes back to me and says that I will fill out a few surveys and get my thank-you and then I can go.

She gives me a clipboard and I answer questions on a few forms about which is more important, a hot tub or a doorman, and how much I would pay for parking, stuff like that, while she photocopies my driver's license. (I think the survey was for that big new builiding on Denny, the one that will have the Whole Foods in it.)

I give her my surveys and tear sheets; she gives me back my license and an envelope with two Grants.

I leave and I'm back in the RD by 3:25.

Not bad.
:::::::::::::::

I also had a nice lunch with Sailor Sue yesterday. Long time, no see and all that, and her hair is long (for her), but all's well in the wacky world of higher ed administration and she promised to come to a movie soon. We had yummy Thai at an unassuming little place near Aurora. I do have an application in for a full-time position at Shoreline, but since Sue is now a Science Dean instead of an English teacher, she doesn't have as much influence as otherwise might be the case., and that's now why I went anyway, but it would be cool to work at the same place.

BTW: If you are heading north of Seattle, stay off Aurora. It's a construction nightmare from about the city limits on, for a few miles.

:::::::::::::::

And finally, the conclusion of Annoying Animated Gif Week:

Returning to our original themes, we have dancing:



We have superheroes:



and we have the baddest dancing superhero of all!



Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all week - be sure to tip your waitress!

No comments: