Friday, June 09, 2006

Malaise or ennui?

I have noticed a drop in the blog-energy lately. Johnbai hasn't posted since Monday, unless you count his "dead CDs" lists. Just Jon hasn't posted since Sunday, Wendy since Saturday, and Neds and Quiet Girl since Sunday last week.

Even in my alter-ego in the comics blog orbit, I have seen that there are three or four routine bloggers, some of them big-time, talking about going on hiatus or giving it up.

Have we said all we need to say? Has the blogosphere reached critical mass? Is an implosion coming, a shakeout? Are we on the cusp of a great advance in evolution?

I dunno, but I have been told that blogging about blogging is a sin, so I will stop now.

While Otis was at work yesterday (for Hi Lai and then giving Reiki to a dog), I went asploring the city. I tracked down J-Force in her native habitat, and found out that she didn't drop off the earth, she just hasn't been as wired as she has in the past. We hope to see her soon. I went to University Honda to look for a cheap scooter and found this instead. Tempting, too tempting. I looked at and measured a bunch of chairs to replace my too-tall stool and then decided just to raise the height of the desk instead. That inspiration came from Dingo, who met me at Piecora's to while away some afternoon hours. And I even got some work done.

And I don't think we could manage anything like this, but I think we should all check this out for the Solstice Parade this year. (If nothing is there, enter wings in the search box.)

6 comments:

Jon Myers said...

Think I may have commented rather than posted this week but no malaise or ennui here - just no time and nothing earth-shattering to say. Still, summer vacation starts soon so who knows...

wheylona said...

Neither. And I posted today, dude!

Like anything, blogging is cyclical. For me it's a reflection of how busy I am, how psychologically sound I am, how inspired I am, and how much feedback I'm getting. And although my general blogging philosophy is that I can and should post whatever the hell I want, I sometimes end up censoring myself and thus am at a loss for something to post until I somehow become inspired again. And so it ebbs and flows.

Jon Myers said...

Me too. I have any number of 'draft' posts that I have thought of posting and then not. Most I eventually delete after they seem 'old'. Though once something is posted, it does not seem old in the same way. I wonder what it is about the publishing process that preserves?

Ditto to the feedback thing too.

wheylona said...

You're right, Jon. I've got some started but not posted posts, and they quickly seem old and irrelevant. But I always figured that was because they weren't meant to be anyway. I tend to think from the angle that worthy --> post rather than post --> worthy, but maybe you're on to something.

Jon Myers said...

Another reason I think that we have different blogging customs is that your blog, Walter, is more quotidian than mine - it is often more a diary of what you have done and who you have met up with and where you have gone etc. I don't usually post that much about my daily routine. Or not on a regular basis?

But look - now you have encouraged three posts from me and two from Wheylona in the space of two days.

John said...

I will never stop blogging. Ever! Never Ever! NEVER NEVER EVER! God damn it, you can't make me stop!