Sunday, June 25, 2006

Last hours of the last day of the last weekend of a "summer vacation" that was too short*



My last class of Spring quarter was on the afternoon of June 7; in less than twelve hours, on June 26, I will be teaching the first session of my first class of Summer, after which I will essentially be teaching full-time (at part-time pay) every week until December 15th or thereabouts.

Even though I had to do grading and class prep over those nineteen days, I came around to consider that period my "summer vacation." I know that there will be fun stuff on the three-day weekends that I have all summer, but this will have been the longest period of time without classroom obligations all year. I guess I can be glad that this vacation closed on such a quintessentially summery day.

Otis and I did head up to LFP to clean up the detritus of the SOS party; it wasn't bad at all, and we found Dingo's sandals. (BTW, we have decided to have an encore screening this coming weekend; be on the lookout for a email invite.) It was hot on the way there and hot on the way back; we discussed heading out to Magnuson Park or to some other body of water to try to get cool. After lunch, we decided to bring the mountain to Mohammed instead.



Yes, for just fifteen bucks and a walk to Bartell's, we installed out very own interactive water feature. Otis wasted no time in enjoying the splendor of 91 gallons of cold hose water captured in a polyvinyl basin.





I must admit, it was kinda fun and definitely cooling. I even got in on the act.



After passing a lazy afternoon and making all our neighbors envious, we had a little dinner, did a little work, and decided to watch the sunset in the company of a soft-serve cone from Little Coney's in Shilshole.



It was a beautiful sunset, and we weren't the only ones with the idea to watch it: Golden Gardens was packed.



I took a picture of some teeny-tiny people sitting on Otis's shoulder.



And I am vain enough to like this picture of me enough to post it for no real reason.



JustJon reported the valley reaching 100 degrees, as predicted; he fled with the boys to the air-conditioned comfort of a movie house. I checked in with Mighty Mel, who was enjoying the air-conditioned comfort in the Turf Club at Emerald Downs as an honorary steward. I hope the rest of y'all found comfort, air-contioned or not, on this paradoxically first and last day of summer.

*The last time I had a post title this long, Johnbai complained about it. Let's see if he does this time.

4 comments:

Jon Myers said...

Today it hit 108.1 F - the hottest I have ever experienced - or tried to avoid - we spent much of today at the coast where it was much cooler.

John said...

Ah yes... the beautiful days of Summer... or the onset of greenhouse gas style execution for the species? You decide. BTW, I've no complaints about blog post length since I posted a doozy today.

Walaka said...

It was a prior blog post title length that you whinged about.

John said...

Click Here to hear a soundtrack to your lazy days of lounging in the kiddie pool.