Saturday, June 17, 2006

Last night's post

B2Keno - 13.2 /Streak = 6 go

Almost a triple-dipple:

Of course, I maintain a spreadsheet to keep track of my biking stats. I record mileage and time and calculate average speed for each ride. If I do 15 miles and ride for at least an hour and maintain and a speed of 15 mph, it's called a triple-dipple.

Well, I got close yesterday, acheiving the benchmark in spirit if not in letter. I did 14.8 miles on the Burke-Gilman in 58 minutes for an average speed of 15.3 mph. I blame the slight shortfall on my inability to read my odomoter accurately without my glasses and therefore turning around a tenth of a mile too soon. Curse you, presbyopia!

In my favor:
No hills: Since I was dropping Otis off at her grandmother's, I drove down and started the ride near Gasworks Park and did it all on the flats.
No books: My usual 15 miles to Bothell was usually completed carrying schoolbooks and papers; not this time.
No people: The trail was relatively empty so I could maintain a pace much of the time.

Working against me:
My knees: Which have been hurting and which is why I was riding on the flats in the frst place.
The rain: Which was coming down intermittently, although the big downpour held off until I was back at the car.

I'm really not a speed rider and the speed limit on the Burke is 15 mph anyway (as well it should be), so this this will have to stand as the glorious acheivement of the season.

Road Trip Mel:

So, word is that Mighty Mel will be starring in a remake of this movie. She actually made it back to Cascadia for her meeting at 4:00 pm on Friday - having left Butte, Montana that morning. (Makes driving to Portland seem like a jaunt around the block, doesn't it?) Otis and I met her up in Bothell afterwards to help haul the stuff up the stairs. Good to have her back safe and sound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The great part was me arriving for the 4pm meeting 15 minutes early, and 4 people from across the hall arriving 5 minutes late....hello...

Thank you so much for the help during the trip and for helping me move stuff upstairs afterwards!

I've been cleaning and polishing away, and it is all starting to come together.

I'm still tripping that I start Spanish class tommorow and then teaching COLL 101 on Tuesday....oh well, back to polishing furniture instead....