Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Not one with a topic

B2Keno = 13.2 / Streak = 4 go

Jobs update (or, bad news travels fast):

Well, it looks like my odds of leaving the LotU any time soon have diminished somewhat. Shoreline CC has withdrawn their recruitment for a full-time English teacher until at least Fall 2007, so I don't even get a crack at that one. (Given the administrative and financial difficulties they have been having lately, I can't say I'm too surprised at this development.) It appears I don't get a crack at Hugo House either; they have hired their new grant writer, and I didn't even get an interview. That leaves the King County Library System abd Kwantlen College in BC still live. Ah, me.

JJ was kind enough to refer over a job opening at SPL: Startegic Initiatives Manager. The job description was filled with stuff like this: Develops system-wide performance measures, including but not limited to statistical and workload measures, which provide relevant information for effective decision-making, informing long-term strategic planning and the evaluation or organizational performance. My eyes glazed over and I got itchy just thinking about having to wear a suit...

I like bikes (motor-wise and pedal-wise):
I still haven't spent much of the funds from the flapper-bracket budget (the money I got for selling my sidecar), so today I went out and did some bike gear shopping, to wit:


A totally cool old-school bell in ninja black. It goes bring-bring!
Perfect for being polite on the Burke-Gilman trail.


So I finally bought one of the frame bags that have the shoulder-rest for mountain bikers, just because I can't find any of the plain style. When I tried it out, I found that my pump, as little as it is, wouldn't fit in it. I brought it back to return it, and the bike guy came up with the brilliant idea of strapping the pump outside the bag, under the shoulder rest pad. He even gave me a cool elastic-velcro strap for free. Hot-digetty-dog!


And we got Otis's bike ready for inclement weather and more riding. You can see she now has a front mudguard, a rear mudguard, and a little cargo rack in the back. You might not be able to see that she also now has toe-clips on her pedals and my old bell (that just goes ting).

I also bought a new set of saddlebag-style panniers that will be great for carrying school papers and books. We even rode the bikes to the bike store, to be completely bikish!

We made this expedition even though I had said that I was going to go up to Camano Island today to buy a new-old motorcycle, so I could have a little more oomph than the scooter provides. Well, I woke up this morning and just knew that I had decided not to do it. As much fun as a little Honda 360 would be and as nice as it would make summer trips on one, the idea of having another vehicle to park and move around and insure and so forth was apparently a bit too much for my subconscious. So I cancelled and I think I'll just stick with ol' Ruby.

On the road again:
I spoke with Mighty Mel as she was making her way across Wisconsin and Minnesota today - she wants to try to make it to Mitchell, South Dakota by tonight, although I think she has given up her hope of making a 4:00 pm meeting in Bothell on Friday afternoon! (If she makes Mitchell, she'll still have 1400 miles or so to go in two days.) She sounded really good and happy to have gotten her stuff (which was made by her grandfather, not her uncle as I reported earlier). Give her a call on her cell phone if you get a minute over the next two days; she'd appreciate the break from the monotony of the heartland.

No comments: