Sunday, June 11, 2006

Full of vim and vigah

B2Keno = 13.3

I have to say that today started out somewhat grey, in atmosphere and in ambience. You see, I missed riding yesterday, because I was waiting for Otis to join me on an expedition, but then in the morning she walked seven miles with a massage buddy and pulled her popliteal or something, and we didn't ride.

So today I knew I really wanted to get some miles in, but it was misty and cool and not terribly inviting. Otis was heading off to Snohomish to do art with Kris-10, and I couldn't decide what to do or where to ride, and the slowly climbing B2K number was never far from my thoughts.

Thinking of that number, I realized that riding to Bothell had got me into the habit of thinking of my rides as 30-35 mile chunks: two or three expeditions a week, and I'm on pace. All I have to do is figure out where to expedate, and make time for it. And that's where my strategy was wrong.

The B2Keno number is a daily number, and since my average riding speed in town is about 14 mph, I could keep on pace with an hour or so of riding a day. And that's how I have decided to run out the rest of the summer: each morning, after tea and before my shower, I will jump on the bike and head out for an hour, rain or shine, happy or sad. I mean, I can blow an hour each morning just surfing the net, so it's not like I'll be taking time away form anything urgent. And this steady commitment will eat away at the B2K; if I have expeditions on top of that, they will just be gravy.

That thought thunk, I pulled on my shoes, got the nacvarro out of the shed, and took off. For a change, I headed southwest on the B-G instead of north, and found a route out to the locks and back that clocked in at 15.4 miles and 69 minutes riding time. Yay me!

If I can find a looping route to North Seattle CC that takes seven miles or so (direct it's only 2.3), I can even make my commute my daily ride four times a week.

So here's to a renewed attack on the 1,510 miles left!

:::::::::::::

Short takes:

Otis really did do something to her leg yesterday. She's been limping and icing it and whatnot.

One of the expeditions we did make yesterday was to Dingo's new treatment space. It is lovely and I am sure she will thrive there.

One of the expeditions we didn't make yesterday was to West Seattle. A fellow put a Honda Elite 250 scooter on sale at 10:30 yesterday morning (this would be just like my red scooter but with a little more ooomph) and I wanted to check it out. I had a 3:00 appointment to see it and by that time it had already been taken. These models are rare and coveted, and I missed this shot at one.

Check out the activities blog for the upcoming events - you should have gotten an email, too

And speaking of wasting time surfing the net, here's a neat little optical illusion thingie, with a thematic connection to a significant fraction of our blogoship.

1 comment:

Ned said...

That optical illusion is soooo bizarre and cool! My eyes are all funny, now, though.

tfean: should be something good, but mind has stopped functioning