Thursday, August 18, 2005

Triple dipple

So, y'all know I'm doing the major-miles biking thing, and y'all either know or have presumed that I am keeping an Excel spreadsheet on my miles &c., but you may not know that it is color-coded. If I don't go far enough on a given trip, for example, the little mileage box turns pink. If I do enough miles, but don't go exceptionally far, it turns green. If I go really far, it turns gold.

There are three major statistical elements of a trip: mileage, time spent, and average speed. If I exceed standards in all three categories, and all three boxes turn gold, it is a triple-dipple, and I turn the date box gold, too.

Today was my first triple-dipple. I rode to Cascadia and back, to pick up some paperwork from Mel.

Total mileage: 38.3 Total time: 2:28 Average speed: 15.5 mph


Yay for the triple-dipple!

On a more normal kind of note, I got some other good news today: Antioch wants me to co-teach a Communication Design class in the master's program offered through their Center for Creative Change. This is a majorly cool thing for a relatively new teacher like me to have offered him. This is even better than a triple-dipple.

Well... just as good, anyways.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, are you going to put teaching gigs on a color coded Excel sheet?

The whole color coded thing should be much scarier that it is, yet perhaps admitting it really is half the cure.

Teaching grad students, more classes than any sane person (one who doesn't color code) could handle, tripple dipple bike rides.....you truly rock!!!

Anonymous said...

The Center for Creative Change doesn't use Canadian money, does it?

Walaka said...

No, but if you try to break an Ajax, they will likely give you three fives, two twos, and a Susan B.

wheylona said...

Walakala, I bow down before your Excelence. By the way...do you remember my recipe database question from a while back...? I know you have the power within you, Excel Man!!

Oh, and good job on the tripple-dipple. ;-)

Ned said...

I am forced to comment only that I am restraining myself from comment, you triple-dipple you.

Am presently, and for the kajillionth time, sorting out cassettes for teacher use (or to steal, apparently) at work. Have had some "help" from another teacher. I fear he would also have to restrain self from comment regarding my methods.

I can relate.

A place for everything and nothing in its place, that's me motto!