Wednesday, August 03, 2005

L-Damn-L

I got the letter from GH today. My LDL number, which is supposed to be 100, dropped from 143 to...






133.

Well, whoop-de-frickin'-do. (Google: 256 hits, .27 seconds)

So, this means that I don't know what this means. On the one hand, I can't dance around and tell the medical establishment what they can do with their liver-eatin' pills, one by one, and that I took care of the problem all by my lonesome. On the other hand, the number did go down; maybe it will go down more if I keep doing what I have been doing.

Sigh.

In unrelated news, we'll not be heading down to the Oregon coast for the weekend: no rooms at the price we are willing to pay. So, tomorrow will be dinner on Bainbridge Island and a visit to Fay Bainbridge State Park; Friday will be a day outing somewhere as yet undetermined; and Saturday will be an I-5 shuffle: down to Portland for the play and back. maybe there will be time for a movie in there somewhere, or a late night run to the saloon district of ballard to find the guy with the veggie dogs again.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill will be at the Crest, if anyone is up for that.

Also, my aunt went through years of cholesterol lowering drugs, as well as NO fat, exercise and so forth. As I mentioned to you, a while back perhaps, the only thing that did it was her stricly following the South Beach Diet.

Honestly I think it is a personal thing, on some level one of those weird things that defy medical, spiritual, and other types of wisdom. This may sound totally whacked, because it is, yet decide what it means to you, and act on that message........ whuwweeeeoooo(new age music takes over blog).

Jon Myers said...

Well, congrats on lowering the number - I guess I would ask the doctor how much he/she would have expected the level to have dropped had you been using the 'conventional' treatment. Would they expect it to have reached 100 by now?

Ned said...

I second Jon's question. Funny, I just had a check-up and my cholesterol was a number that 10-15 years ago my doctors in the States freaked out about. Does this just mean I'm that much closer to the grave and so who gives a fuck? Or is that 'Merikan doctors freak out more? I do not know. Good luck in the endeaver. Go - fight - win!

Anonymous said...

Whoah there big guy, don't go tossing five gallons of milk over a telephone wire in anger - I don't think it's possible to lower your cholesterol from 143 to 100 in the space of a month, at least not without real medication.

Had you accomplished such a drop without the assistance of those know-it-alls, I would have taken you out for a pizza... I mean, maybe a few dark pints of... I mean, a box of glazed... Okay nevermind. I would have passed you some strips of cardboard lightly sprinkled with cinammon. Keep fighting the good fight.

Soapy

Walaka said...

My friends are so smart!

I got a phone call from the GH nurse while I was on the ferry yesterday. She seemed really pleased with my numbers, didn't recommend any changes in treatment, and scheduled me for a follow-up blood test in three months.

So, I matched expectations without medication and I have another 13 weeks or so to continue to drop the number! Yee-haw, go me!

Yer all geniuses.