Sunday, August 14, 2005

A haole in Hilo

Boy, am I hot and tired right now.

I left the hotel at about 8:15 local time and walked all over Hilo until about noon or so. Most of the time I was walking it felt like it was 90/90 - heat/humidity. My t-shirt looked like I had been hit in the chest with a garden hose. When I stopped to look at my map, I couldn't push my sunglasses to the top of my head: it was too slick and they would slide off. As I tried to read, drops of sweat would drip into my eyes and onto the paper. It's effin' warm, kids.

Hilo reminds me, variously, of Reykjavik (the topography); Poulsbo (the old town); and Greenwood (most of town). I have seen lots of native Hawaiian people, lots of crappy cars, lots of bodywork places, and lots of banyan trees. I have not seen many expensive cars, any scooters (although I have seen some donorbikes), many chains/franchises (one McDonalds, two Subways, and three 7-11 stores; all the rest have been local/independent), or any free wi-fi. Hey, I haven't seen a Starbucks in Hilo yet!

I am going to go get a large drink now and let my body core temperature get below 110.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Humidity sucks!

Lack of Starbucks rocks!

Not sure if it evens out, perhaps the one in the humidity has to make that call.

Ned said...

Hmmm. Hate the hot, but the presence of water does make a difference.