Monday, August 15, 2005

Spending money

(BTW, I have been writing a more detailed record of this trip on the laptop, but since I have no way of transferring the data, you won;t see it until later. Wait - maybe I do have a way. I may post a really long message tonight.)

So, it's early morning on Hilo. I have broken down and decided to get a car, so in a few minutes, I will get a cab to the airport and pick it up. I can then wander around the town to a wider extent than I did yesterday, and get to my interview unmussed and unsillied, and then maybe even head out to the volcano afterwards. If nothing else, I will be able to find some places to eat! I need to sample more of the local foods.

The day is once again half-sunny and half-cloudy. It rained overnight but it doesn't look like it will start up again for a while. The back of my neck is all sunburnt from my walk yesterday, so I won't mind staying out of the harshest of it today.

There have been no epiphanies or revelations since yesterday's excursion. I have talked to every local who would chat, I have walked all over town, I have read the Sunday paper from cover to cover, and I still can't get my head around this place. On some levels, I am thinking that this is Hawai'i and it really should be great, and I am wondering why I am not just bowled over by it. On the other hand, I have travelled enough, I think, to realize that some places are just places: not every small town in the states is quaint, not every village in France is charming, not every cathedral in Europe is magnificent, and so on.

In any event, today is the last day to take a taste of Hilo, and I will be about it.

6 comments:

Ned said...

What would your dream Hawaiian place be like? I have absolutely no concept of what Hawaii might/could/is be like.

Anonymous said...

Yowza! Seems the place is so drab and boring that you're repeating yourself in your descriptions.

Might I suggest a steaming hot cup of lava? Tis spooky how your travels yield an almost word-for-word set of parallel paragraphs.

Soapy

Anonymous said...

I would make some snarky comment, like you are just old and cynical, yet that would be wrong.

Actually I like the realistic evaluation of places sometimes just being places, as I have felt it many times while travelling.

Another thought is, how much different your experience and impressions would be if Otis were with you right now.

Walaka said...

Ned: First of all, sandy beaches. The Big Island: not so much. Particularly the Hilo side.

Walaka said...

Soapy: Are you still gonna be mad at me if I don't wind up here?

Anonymous said...

Walter: I'm gonna be mad at you regardless of what happens.

We're ALL mad here... :D

Soapy