Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Okay, so I'm back

and I was sorta doing the catching-up thing all day. I took some pictures for Otis's website this morning and then had a meeting down at Antioch about the new class. Mags was up from The Couv for training so she got together for dinner with Otis and me. I also took care of my flapper bracket (see below): I got a certified check today and signed over the title to Ural; the fellow will be back to pick it up before the weekend. (The battery is dead.) I may also have a line on selling my comics

So, I want to get together with everyone and shoot the breeze over the whole Hilo thing and everything else that has been going on. Anyone fancy a get-together over glass candles at a bendix somewheres on Friday night? Maybe the Red Door in Fremont, unless you think that would be too trendoid? Any other suggestions?

At any rate, as a little substitution for fairy tales of the Hawai'ian islands, here is some faux-forties slang, neatened up by me but courtesy of Calamity Jon Morris, a comix blogger guy. We might even be able to actually use some of this:

Ajax: A $20 bill. Also “both sides of the blender” and a “vichy quarter.”

Back room dentistry: A punch in the mouth. "Take this guy in the alley for a little back room dentistry."

Bendix: A diner, usually lit with neon outside and fluorescent inside, with steel stamped siding.

Body Work:
The opposite of an Oil Change: When a meeting goes bad and the two parties end up fighting. The loser of the fight "got body work." “I met Knuckles at the bendix and gave him a little body work. He won't be bothering no one for a while.”

Chuckle Jockey: A stand-up comedian.

Dance hall telegram: Any public display of affection, especially an obvious one like a kiss or a goose. "Hey, look out, Jerry, it looks like your cousin is sending Mae a little dance hall telegram."

Eskimo Floorboards:
ice, ice cubes, particularly for use in alcoholic beverages. As in "Serve me up a scotch and lay down plenty of Eskimo floorboards." Also as in ice covering the ground, "He didn't know that the sidewalk was all Eskimo floorboards, so he took a nasty spill."

Flapper Bracket: A motorcycle sidecar.

Give [someone] the squirrel: Mess with or trick someone.

Glass candle: Any alcoholic drink. “Man, Harper and I blew out glass candles all night and I'm really feeling it this morning.

Goin' Down to Georgia: Making a dangerous bet or wager, as in: "Ten thousand bucks against my life; talk about goin' down to Georgia."

Liquid sandwich: A cold beer. "Three liquid sandwiches, Morty, and roll 'em down fast, I got a deadline."

Matchsticks: Baseball bats.

Oil Change: To up all night in a diner drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. Usually done as a peaceful meeting to handle a dispute. "I met Knuckles McGee at the Bendix and we got an oil change.

Panther Sweat: Cheap/bad whiskey or alcohol of any sort.

Sell it to the French!: "I ain't buyin' the line you're handing me, pal."

Smirk merchant: A used car salesman.

Sweating votes: v. Gladhanding the public, via speeches, handshaking, babykissing, and other forms of sucking up, in order to garner positive opinion. 'Sweating' can also be used generically to indicate brown-nosing: "He's really sweating the boys upstairs. Must have a new kid on the way."

Wolf tickets: Interaction with someone who is bad news, trouble, or generally insubordinate. "Don't fuck with him, he’s passing out wolf tickets."

Wooden kimono: A coffin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll be at Bothell Landing watching The Total Experience Gosple Choir, until 8pm. Then we have to get home as our plane flies out at 7am tommorow.

Anyways, hope you have a great chin-wag.

Ned said...

Hey, I've actually heard of two of them!

Will go now, as feeling a bit like I've had some body work done due to a few too many glass candles last night, well, liquid sandwiches, to be precise.