Tuesday, January 01, 2008

First!

The year ended in a pretty good mood. Otis was fighting some kind of headache for much of the day, but that did not deter us from an expedition to Ballard for a last visit to the water:







After the day's activities (see below), we rested before the festivities at Johnbai's place. Otis and I arrived to find Dingo and Sylvio already there; Neds showed up shortly thereafter. Conviviality ruled the night as we talked and gamed our way into the new year. Highlights:

Apparently, veggie pigs-in-blankets, however cheap, trump hummus, however delicious and lovingly prepared.

Johnbai's now-legendary card-word game actually has great gameplay; there is still, however, no consensus on the pronunciation of "quixostotistic." Big winner: Sylvio!

That "mimer-timer" from Guesstures makes the most annoying sound in the world, but there's nothing funnier than a one-woman stampede (thanks, Ned!).

Dick Clark is still frakking amazing; borderline creepy to some, but amazing nonetheless. The cred of the "stars" on his show has shrunk, however, to an alarming degree.

Fifteen permutations of kisses is a great way to ring in the new year.

You can't do the eat-a-grape-at-each-stroke-of-midnight Spanish tradition with grapes the size of golf balls, no matter how good they taste.

Otis discovered the joys of the Philips Screwdriver (peach as well as orange) and didn't even crack her lambic; others preferred to sample the single-malt scotches and develop their skills:



Sylvio left a little after midnight to join up with another locus of merriment and Otis and I lasted a few hours into the new year before I drove us home. Dingo and Neds made it a slumber party, and as far as I know are likely still there.




This is my third New Year's Day Blog post, and my themes (I hesitate to call them resolutions) for the year remain the same, with some growth (a description that I hope applies to me as well):

Try to make fewer statements and ask more questions.
In each situation, consider what a little kindness might do.

Thanks for all the friendship, my most valued asset; here's to a great year for all of us!

3 comments:

Ned said...

Lovely resolutions.

Thanks YOU for the friendship. It was a joy to ring in the new year with you and youse.

ouuelrui: Swedish new year's treat

klwqlap: Tlingit new year's treat

John said...

Hey! I like that photo.
The blindfold makes me look KINKY!

Ned said...

I did, however, neglect to throw down the gauntlet as follows: I reckon that if my hummous had not been fashionably tardy, she might have given your pigs a run for their money, baybee!