Saturday, January 26, 2008

Early morning once again

It's been a very long time since I has a leisurely blog in the dawn's early and all that... and it's been a pretty long time since I've blogged, period.

I spent the past two days sequestered in my office in Bothell doin' work. No classes - just all the other stuff that comes with, and some special stuff, too. And that doesn't even include my responding, which I have to do this weekend. Eek! See what happens when you take a weekend off? But it's all good, and all under control. I'll see a slacking-off in about another two-three weeks.

On Thursday, I worked all the way until NatDog finished her evening class, so by the time I hitched a ride home with her, Otis and I only had time to watch Atomic Rulers of the World before we both fell asleep. This short Japanese film from 1964 has resonances of old movie serials and the first Superman TV show, and you can see the seeds of later Saturday-morning fare such as Power Rangers in it. It is incredibly cheesy, but has a goofy charm that totally captivated Otis. I think she's in lurve with Ken Utsui (more than George Reeves but less than David Janssen).



On Friday, after carpooling in the opposite direction with NatDog and another long day, I walked the hundred yards or so from my office to Stella's apartment to help prepare for the Rabbie Burns Night celebration. Stella outdid herself prepping for the night: she set up an elegant dining table with service for fourteen, prepared three different kinds of vegetarian haggis, and made a scrumptious dessert. Her only tactical error was scheduling dentist's appointment for Mel Jr. at about the same time as dinner! So, as well as being shanghaied into the role of Chairman, I got to to play sous-chef and doorman as the evening commenced.

Otis carpooled up with Dingo and Johnbai; Yito, Normy, and DP comprised the Cascadia contingent; old pal Della showed up; and Soapy came late but eager. Oh yeah - Stella and Mel Jr. came back in time for dinner, too.

We managed a passable job of following the protocol for a traditional Burns night, albeit with some abbreviations. A CD of bagpipe music provided the background, we had the Selkirk Grace and the ode To a Haggis, toasts were made and poetry read (much of it surprisingly bawdy - I'm looking at you, carpoolers), we closed with a chorus of Auld Lang Syne, and an unseen observer (had there been one) would have witnessed a night of companionable festivity.

Stella's cockless-leeky soup was excellent, and Otis's rosemary salt (the culinary equivalent of plutonium) was enjoyed by the daring. The neep 'n' tatties were yummy and the mock-cranachan desert was heavenly, but the centerpiece of the night was the haggis. The canned vegetarian haggis was pronounced close to authentic in taste by Johnbai (who has apparently had the real deal) but was in many ways the least interesting of the three. The quorn-haggis was more like a casserole and had a multicultural quality that, while not unpleasant, seemed less suitable for the event. But the crown jewel of the meal was Stella's own improvised vegetarian haggis, bagged in cheesecloth, which made a great substitute for a sheep's stomach. This was the "great chieftain o' the pudding-race" which was Piped In; this haggis was Addressed; this haggis was cut "wi' ready slight"; and this was the dish to which all in attendance cried "Gie her' a haggis!"

Good times. I think Rabbie would have been pleased.

2 comments:

JJ said...

Hi Wal--got your post and yes, the CAL Closet is full of wire racks and shelves with a hangar pole suspended from the main rack. It triples the storage space in the closet making it possible to utilize the space from floor to ceiling. Thanks for making me laugh out loud with your comment about the ornate dome in my living room--I needed that :) It's been a grey day here on the Middle Coast.

Courtney Putnam said...

Excellent idea for a celebratory event, Mel! I "cock up my beaver" to you!

xo,
Courtney