Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sanguinity

Professional: I just finished the second stack of papers that I needed to read and assess (and grade) this quarter. I am not only happy to be fifty percent finished with my pile of papers (yay!), but also I am pleased overall with the quality of the work I have read so far. Many students have actually demonstrated growth and development; i.e., their final papers are noticeably and significantly better than then their early papers. Holey Moley! What's going on here? Actual learning? Maybe even some teaching? Whatever, it’s gratifying and puts a sweet final spin on what has been in many ways a fairly dismal quarter.

Social: After getting work done yesterday, I didn't quite have time to join NatDog and TomTom for the Green Lake Luminaria Walk, so I settled for a quick jaunt to the closest comics shop. Otis got home not-too-late from a family visit to LFP and then we headed out to the wilds of West Seattle* for Neds’s housewarming. The house had already been warmed by the time of our late arrival, and it turns out that Dingo found quite a jewel for Neds: you cannot beat her site and situation, and the apartment itself is charming. Merry was made, including a visit to the nearby beach from some lighted boats carrying people celebrating a religious holiday with songs.

Technological: There may be a low-impact solution to the Great Laptop Disaster of Ought-seven; details when and if they develop.

Spiritual: I have felt a little off-center lately; less grounded than I like to be and bit wobbly. Some alone time (including my focused grading time) seems to have helped a bit; I feel like I am getting closer to an evenness that I seek. So, that’s good.

Culinary: Otis made a really good Mexican tomato, rice, and corn soup for lunch. Mmmm.

*I am working on an analogy between Seattle and New York City. Ballard has always been Brooklyn; last night, I decided that West Seattle was Staten Island. I think perhaps Sodo and environs is The Bronx and north of ship canal Queens. That leaves the rest as Manhattan, I guess. Of course, this is meaningless to anyone who hasn't lived in the city, so…

No comments: