Monday, December 03, 2007

A big mess all around

So, what about this rain, eh? I had about 50% attendance in both my 8:45 am class and my 1:15 pm class, and the College suspended operations at 3:30 pm. Otis and I watched some spectrated local news when I got home in the afternoon – wonderful images of flooding rivers and washed-out roads and flooded duplexes and and that sort of stuff. It seems like it is a genuine Big Deal, although we don't feel at all affected here in the RD. Stella was out throwing sandbags for the city of Bothell – I’m wondering about morning class tomorrow. Hope ya’ll are snug and dry wherever you are.

I ran into a mess of a different sort today: my little Craig’s List laptop seems to have crapped out. It sort of hung up, and when I tried to restart, it was unresponsive. I jumped onto the intarweb with the desktop and found some solutions that seemed to work; I got it going normally only to have it die again less than an hour later. This time it was exhibiting signs that what had happened was a Very Bad Thing Indeed.

Update: The iBook is exhibiting all the signs of a bad logic board, and its serial number places it in a batch of units with dicky logic boards. Apple had a program to replace logic boards in these units for free; unfortunately, the program ended in July.

I’m not sure how much money and energy I want to devote to the iBook anyway; I have about pushed both of my machines to the bleeding edge of their capabilities, and I think it might be time for a new box. The question then is, of course, which box? Presuming there are some resources, I could get a brand new MacBook and use it as my sole computer. I could get a new iMac desktop, sell my old iMac, and get another used iBook. I could get a new iMac and a cheap new PC laptop. I could get a new iMac and not-quite-as-cheap Tablet PC (which would be handy for school). I could get a new iMac and a Sidekick or Blackberry.

Arrrgh. I like things not to change.

I discussed all this (and much, much more!) with Jon of Monmouth this evening through the miracle of wireless telephony. It was good to check in with him, especially as his presence in the blogosphere has been limited as of late – although that may be changing, at least for the discerning subscriber! He was hale and hearty and full of piss and vinegar.

Speaking of pals, Trots sends along this link to an article on Social Entrepreneurs. This seemed to tie in nicely with my recent observation about the number of entrepreneurial types in our little posse – especially considering the level of social consciousness that the group also exhibits.

And to Fazzledazzle: since we got Neds back, the least we can do is let her old pals hear about her! Now maybe we’ll get to meet you in person when you come out for a visit. I hear the new place was painted over the weekend (by Herself and Dingo) and there are rumors of a housewarming next week…

There’s also another event next week: Otis’s art show. I think I misspoke and told some people it was this Thursday, but it’s not – it’s 13 December. Check out the news.

And lest we forget another event: Otis and I attended her brothers’ Crawlspace poetry reading last night. It was quite a spectacle, and the associated publication is a great book that had a 3-D cover and comes with glasses and CD. Order a copy for yourself here! Here’s a sample of the reading from that CD: “Number 2 – Snooze Button Jailbreak.”

No comments: