Saturday, April 28, 2007

Whipping into the weekend

Thursday passed uneventfully but pleasantly, including nothing more noteworthy than coffee at Third Place Books.

I had my interview on Friday: the teaching demonstration and the interview with the committee went just fine. I was done with the meat at 9:00 am, but had to hang around the campus until 11:00 to participate in a campus tour and a library tour - neither of which, of course, told me anything I didn't already know about the college, but both of which I was required to attend since they were supposedly part of the selection process. I found out that some of my adjunct pals, as well as a colleague from Antioch, were also in the selection pool; the college has some good candidates from which to choose. There are so many ways this could go.

Post-interview, some sort of sleeping sickness took over the townhouse, and both Otis and I took long afternoon naps. We tried to shake the lethargy off with a walk around Green Lake, and that kept us up long enough to watch Ian McKellen's Richard III, a masterful re-staging of the history as the story of an alternate-timeline fascist England of the 1930s. I read later that McKellen wrote the screenplay while on tour with the play, and there's some sense of the experimental and the personal in his abridgments of the original, but I have to give mad props to any film adaptation of Shakespeare that can essentially dispense with dialogue for the first five minutes and still establish character and setting. It was a good watch, and even features Robert Downey, Jr. (in a small role) among its stellar cast. Not long after the viewing, however, we were both asleep again.

This weekend holds both work and play: Otis has some appointments today and tomorrow, and I have responding and reading, of course. There's a comic book store in Edmonds going out of business and today is their last open day; I was thinking of heading there in the morning to see if there was anything I wanted to pick up. Tonight is Salsa Saturday, too. What a rich life!

And just because we haven't had enough graphics lately, here's a picture to compare to the one on the events blog:

No comments: