Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Like Unto a God!


Wei-Tuo
Chinese God of Teaching


Man, I was really channeling ol' Wei today. I zipped up to NSCC for my fifty minutes of pedagogy and it went as smooth as silk. I started off with a review of mechanics using authentic student work from the prior assignment. I elicited revisions and improvements and it looked like the principles were getting across. We moved in to the current topic, and I got feedback from the students on the chapter reading that led straight into a reiteration of our discussion on thesis. We started a new discussion, and they contributed some great ideas that were right on point. I turned their own generated list of ideas into a group project, which they engaged in with enthusiasm. I collected the deliverables, which I will use as the springboard for the discussion of tomorrow's topic. Sweet!

It's days like this that keep me in the teaching game, despite the lack of security and the inequity in pay for part-timers, despite the campus politics and the overall lack of prestige associated with the calling. This was a happening class today, and I helped it happen. And it was cool.

3 comments:

Courtney Putnam said...

You are smooth as butter, Walaka.

Anonymous said...

You are a god.

"Yojimbo_5" said...

Is that guy wearing a utilikilt?