Thursday, April 05, 2007

Just some dithering

Spring is in the air - as I was having an early-morning snooze after letting the cat out at 4:47, I heard the radio man say it was going to ht 69 today! I'm having a strange and slow time adapting to my new schedule: after Hawaii, and then a half-week, and now part of this "real" week, I'm still not sure how this will play out. Teaching only three classes (as opposed to five) is great; unfortunately, I'm still going to three schools. But the schedule isn't so bad: there's no useless gap between my classes at Bothell and North, for example. On the other hand, on days like today, all I do is teach for an hour at noon, so I'm going to have to figure out how to structure my day around that.

Since it's spring, we are now five days into my biking season and I haven't gotten in the saddle yet. I'd like to aim again for 2,000 miles this summer, but I'm not sure I'll be as OCD about tracking and posting the miles. (Oh, who am I kidding?) In any case, I'll need to start riding soon!

So, here's some this 'n' that in my dithery mood today:

On Tuesday night, Otis and I were joined by Stella, Dingo, Johnbai, and Sachet for dinner at Chinoise in Wallingford. We went out as part of the Dining for Darfur effort, and because I just love the community of my friends. It was really good food, too!

Wednesday was the first of this quarter's version of the long day: after my 8:00 am to 1:15 pm commute-class-commute-class-commute morning, I have an evening class from 7:00 to 9:30. It worked out fine.

JustJon has returned with this troop from Tejas and has backfilled his blog with references to obscure movies and house-selling news, among other stuff. Welcome back, buddy.

(I just got interrupted there for a bit: first there was a phone call from teaching-pal Gweekers in Spokane, catching up after spring breaks, and then Mountie, the sedentary outside cat, all of a sudden started flipping out.)

My interview on Whidbey Island for a teaching position at the Skagit College campus there is scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I expect the best part of the day will be having brunch with Yojimbo.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Scotty's new video.

What do you think of these as an alternative to kilts? They would be better for summer bike-riding, and they're a heck of a lot cheaper, too.

Hey, my comics blog has been consistently getting over 50 hits a day lately. It seems a lot of them come from people doing Google image searches, but I am sure a number come from the increasing links from other blogs, such as this one.

I want one of these. I used to have a T-shirt with this logo on it. It's classic Newyorkiana, but in a good way. This find reminded me of a time I was watching some TV show set in the sixties. A character came into an office with take-out coffee, and the paper cups had little squares of foil pressed over the tops instead of round plastic lids. I had forgotten about those foil squares, but it all came back: they silver-shiny on one side, white-waxy on the other, with a little tab near one corner; they used to be kept in a stack next to the cash register. Ah, the artifacts of our youths.

Maybe this will get Soapy's mind off of Spartans.

And just so there are some graphics in this post, here's Otis showing off her massage muscles down at Magnuson Park the other day:

DSCN3566

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Thai pants better than the shorts, yet those aren't as breezy for summer wear.

Thanks for a lovely night out on Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Nice try dude, but TheaterHopper is already taking up all my non-Spartan time. You could say it's one of my favorite extraSparticular activities. :)


Soapy

Anonymous said...

p.s. I like the Greek theme of those coffee cups. They're almost... nah, nevermind...


Soapy

Ned said...

Had a Thai massage once. They gave you the shorts to wear. Very confusing without an owner's manual!