Thursday, April 26, 2007

Level three diagnostic, Mr. Data

Well, I have been alternating between feeling like I have a cold and feeling fine, sometimes for a few hours at a time, sometimes for just a few minutes. I have been drinking Emergen-C and tea a lot. I guess it's a cold, but it's not like "there's been something going around," and it's not too bad, so mostly I'm trying to ignore it, although I did sleep in a little this morning.

Tomorrow is my interview with Cascadia, and I appear to have shaken off my miasma about the process and feel better about the whole thing. I have some ideas for how I am going to present, which I will pull together this afternoon.

At the same time, I am well aware that this is far from a sure thing: the only thing that is certain is that someone is going to be disappointed, since there are other qualified adjuncts (at least one of whom I know) who also applied. The disappointment may be mine and it may not. If it is, it might be time to think about introducing Mssrs. Rubber and Road: the last of the ten recruitments to which I responded closed on March 19, and the tally stands at:

1 - I withdrew
5 - No answer yet
3 - The answer was no
1 - Interview pending

While hope springs eternal and all that, it might be wise to begin thinking about contingencies. I said last year that I didn't think I could keep up this pace of adjunct teaching and I needed to do something else; I haven't changed that position. If something doesn't break within a month, it's time for sure to do some career change work, or else figure out how to live on half the money I do now. My summer is set, but my fiscal year rolls over on October 1, and I want something in-place by then.

Speaking of adjunct opportunities, Stella has once again expanded her repertoire: come the fall, she will be joining me as part-time faculty at Antioch, teaching the class related to documenting prior learning experience. It's right up her alley and she's going to be a great asset to the college (and I think she'll like it, too).

The odds and ends are all wrapping up: Johnbai and O brought the Little Black Car back, although we didn't do a lot of socializing, since it was late. Otis has been having a bit of a slow week, so she did a major spring cleaning on her practice room and has been making yummy soups and enchiladas and stuff. I'm caught up on school work, and the weekend should be okay. We're thinking about having a Salsa Saturday this weekend; after we all shred our privates (?!) we can get together in the evening for nachos, quesedillas, and maybe a movie. Hey, that sounds good - expect an invitation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with your interview. You should do well.

I've got 6 apps out with no sense of where they are going. To hell, I suppose. Can I sleep on your couch?

Diane

Anonymous said...

If anyone's wondering why it was so cloudy today, it was my thousand job applications blotting out the sun. And it's only going to get darker, baby!

Good luck to you both!


Sapounizidas

Walaka said...

Ah, the League of Underemployed is thriving...