Thursday, April 12, 2007

Counting chickens and all that

Well, I got my phone call from the VP Fulton up at Whatcom CC today, but it turns out it wasn't to offer me a job; rather, he was letting me know that I wasn't going to be offered a job. It seems that I was their fifth-most-favoritest teacher who interviewed, but since they had four positions to fill, and made four offers, and had all of them accepted, I am, like the unicorns at the Ark, left out in the rain. I guess the only reason I was called personally is that I knew Dick Fulton back in the day, so he felt I deserved some personal contact; that was mighty nice of him. A job would have been nicer, though.

So far, of the 14 full-time college faculty positions I have applied for, the score stands at 6 rejections (4 at one blow), 1 self-rejection, 1 interview pending, and 6 haven't-heard-anything-yets.

Oh, yeah: I also got rejected by Lakeside School (Upper-school English) and King County (Community Communications) within the past week.

And there you have it.

Otis has a three-day continuing ed training coming up on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so I imagine I will get a lot done this weekend and still have time for playing. Anything cool in the works?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what happened to the ark when they snubbed the unicorn?

You may remember from the Dead Sea Scrolls that the unicorn, in a fit of spite after eating some bad brekkies, rammed a hole in the base of the ark. Noah, Noah's family, and all those "real" animals perished in the flood an hour later.

We'll never know what the animals looked like before the unicorn decided to single-hornedly terminate all life. God had to re-create everything from scratch. Notice he did not reinstate the unicorn.

I guess what I'm saying is that if they don't hire you, you should probably burn the campus to the ground.

Soapy

Ned said...

Yo! I was going to say something witty and encouraging, but no way can I top Soapy. So... I will just say, Buck up, chuck-o, there're many more fish in the sea.