Thursday, September 22, 2005

Sticker and shock

Okay, so y'all know that I went to the eye doctor not long ago and that I now have a brand-new prescription for some progressive lenses (sort of like continuous trifocals). So today I went back to the too-cutely-named "See Center" at Group Health to look at frames. I picked out a few and took a seat at one of the little [insert whatever noun denominates those semi-partitioned work areas at a long common counter]. The woman who came to help me complimented me on my taste: it seems my frames of choice cost $210. And then she tells me my lenses will cost $230-$240, depending on the exact size. But not to worry - my benefits will cover fifty bucks, so my out-the-door cost will only be $400.

Heavens to Murgatroyd! That seems like a lot of money! Even with cheap frames, it looks like it will be hard to get it under $300. Is this right? Is this just how much glasses cost? I asked a glasses-wearing guy in Safeway on my way home, and he said that it was, and looked sad. So, all you four-eyeses out there, let me know how much my glasses should cost. Maybe if enough people tell me that the price is what it is, I will be able to deal with it better. Or maybe somebody has different information.

On a happier commercial note, I am now the proud owner of a caramel-colored, Utilikilt-brand, Carhart-material Workman's Kilt, just in time for fall! Yay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my son gets glasses they seem to run into the $250-$300 range. The price difference may be he knows that if he picks out more expensive frames I will cry....or just whinge a lot.

I like the kilt. Can you wear it for your first Thursday night COLL 101 class? Perhaps you'll want to do the opposite as I have been selling it to students based on your teaching ability, personality, and the line "AND he wears kilts!!"

Anonymous said...

Glasses are cheaper in Spokaloo. Got mine at Costco, managed to find some under $100 frames I liked, progressive, etc., about $230. Spent the big bucks on my very first pair, then found out they don't last as long as my computer and decided to downsize the pricetag. Sometimes the frames force you to get more expensive lenses--you gotta ask.

As for the kilt--I'm wondering why I never saw you in one at EWU. . .

Ned said...

Hooray for kilt! We need more men in kilts. In fact, I'd take a kilt-without-a-man-in-it for prezdint.

My glasses cost me 100 euros at the little shop by my house, with the nice guy who advised a blind, friendless girl on the best choice. And it was. And they're purple! What more could a gal ask for? OK, so they're kind of heavy and the purple's now sort of peeling, but you can't actually tell and I think, if I do say so myself, that they still look good. Looks is what this is all about, isn't it?